Post subject: Re: Germany, the fall.
Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 06:59 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: May 09
Times_to_FSU: 20+
Vinnvinny wrote:
Part Zwei (or Zwo)

So, I asked the nice lady if I might be able to bypass the long queue as my flight was being called. “Not possible” she replied looking up to me, “you’ll be ok”. Well knowing how Germans are very efficient at these sorts of things I placed my trust in her and joined the line. In fairness the queue moved at a fairly rapid pace and soon I was on the other side of security waiting to collect my belongings. I could see my gate in the not too far distance and all was well as people were still boarding the flight.

As my possessions came along the conveyor belt I quickly grabbed them and was just about to make God speed when a security guy appeared from nowhere and indicated he wanted my laptop. As he took it in his hand he motioned that I must follow him to the laptop swabbing desk where there was yet another queue. I quickly told him my plight and he immediately understood and we went straight to the front of the queue and my laptop was promptly handed to the laptop swabbing man. Very efficient these Germans I thought, but then, as quickly as the security guard had appeared, matters took an unexpected turn for the worse.

Not the full internal search? [underchair.gif]

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 11:12 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Sparky114 wrote:
Not the full internal search? [underchair.gif]

I'll check my notes. [confused.gif]

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 21:25 
Veteran Member

Part Drei

My laptop was handed to laptop swabbing man by the security chap who explained that I needed to be processed prompto. Laptop swabbing man looked at me, looked towards my gate which was now people less, muttered something and carried on swabbing the laptop he already had. Unlike myself, he didn’t seem to be in any rush.

I don’t know what takes place in the room behind the swabbing desk but it looked busy with lots of comings and goings involving other laptop swabbing personnel. After a couple of minutes laptop swabbing man disappeared into the said room clutching my laptop. He reappeared some 5 minutes later and handed me my laptop and I noticed a knowing glint in his eye as if he knew what would happen next. He was right, my flight was closed and I was despatched to Lufthansa Customer Service.

My laptop swabbing man wasn't very efficient or maybe he wasn’t German. Maybe he was but he had heard all about my Grandfathers adventures, I don’t know. What I do know however is that the room behind the swabbing desk contains a monitor that displays flights that are now closed and I’m sure he just sat in there waiting for me to be timed out .. no doubt about that.

As I excited the security area I noticed that there were now zero people queuing at either the security channels or the swabbing desks. The good Lord was exacting revenge again, I do wish I could get some advance notice of these things.

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011 17:11 
Banned

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
Vinnvinny wrote:
the room behind the swabbing desk contains a monitor that displays flights that are now closed and I’m sure he just sat in there waiting for me to be timed out .. no doubt about that.

Are you sure that wearing those Union flag shorts and t-shirt with a deck chair with a UK log'd towel on it didn't have anything to do with it ? ;)

I hope there is a part 'vier' and a happier ending...involving a Euro compo or upgrade ?

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011 19:10 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
Did you leave the laptop with this forum open in your browser when switching it off ? That would explain the time it took.... un til they stopped laughing... [rolfsmall.gif]

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011 21:35 
Veteran Member

Part Vier

Getting to the Lufthansa service desk wasn’t as easy as you might think. I could see it all right, behind some glass, but getting to it from where I was a task in itself. Eventually perseverance prevailed and I soon found what my options were. It was now 10am and I could ‘A’ hang around Frankfurt for 12 hours and fly direct to Kiev or ‘B’ wait 6 hours, go to Munich, wait another 2 and then on to Kiev. I chose option ‘B’ as it would break up the day.

6 hours is a long time doing nothing. I smoked, read, ate, people watched then smoked again. I sometimes went in those Winston smoking booths where you can smoke without lighting your ciggie, very nice. At one stage I witnessed around 70 Japanese people who were presumably in transit and they were all wearing this face masks so popular 14 months ago. I thought to myself that either bird flu is back or that was one hell of a mother funker delay they had endured.

Eventually I boarded my Munich flight which was a surprising big plane but disappointingly the seats were lacking on the foam front again. I like Munich and when I am there I often wish I was old enough to have seen Giorgio Moroder & Donna Summer ‘feeling love’ …. and then I realise I am. Soon I was bound for Kiev on thankfully a plane with normal seats and I arrived in Kiev 18 hours after I had left home. For the foreseeable future I will stick with sardine class and try to avoid German efficiency.

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011 18:27 
Veteran Member

Footnote:

What really was surprising regarding my day flying around Europe was that when I eventually got to the luggage carousel in Kiev my suitcase had arrived with me.

That’s Germans for you. [thumbs.gif]

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011 16:30 
Veteran Member

I'm now going to reroute my trips at utilise Cebu Pacific Airlines.

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/jus ... dance-4141