All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Russian Love affair
Post Number:#51  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010 09:27 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Various photos from our trip to Marseille

During our visit to Marseille, apart from visiting interesting places we spent a lot of time walking around exploring the town, sitting in cafe's enjoying the winter sun, shopping and visiting restaurants.

Here is a collection of various photos to give you an idea of what Marseille looks in general.

The front of the church opposite the "Samaritans Cafe" by the port

Enjoying a coffee in the sun

Can a woman resist the temptation of looking a Cosmetics shop?

Marseille by night - Grand Hotel

Cinema

First shop done and can't find her husband! [wink.gif]

Just finished visiting Lafayet's, a very large chain shop in France
and I don't remember how many coffee's and cigarettes I finished while waiting!
:D

Waiting for my sea food.....

Wife finished her dinner but I am stilll going! :D

Our Hotel

Airport Cafe

The checking for our flight

Waiting to check-in for our flight.... not happy going home!

Check the times on the clocks ..... all tick on Masreille's time ! :lol:

So our trip to Marseille is over and time to go home now!

We had a wonderfull time in Marseille and look forward to go back sometime in the future.....but for now we are back home and started planning our next trip, which will be next June the 11, to visit home and family. Time not only to see mama, Rodina and family but also to celebrate 2 years of marriage.

Time flies really when you have a good time! [veryhappy.gif]

Post Number:#52  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010 17:09 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
Great Photos Yannis. I have never been there but after looking at the photos I almost feel I have and it makes me want to put it on the list of places I would like to go.

Post Number:#53  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010 19:23 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
Great pictures. When thinking of Marseille I wonder if you have taken a taxi there...

Post Number:#54  PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010 09:58 
Admin

Going back to France from 15 - 19 April 2010

Today, my wife and I, we are travelling to France to visit an ex Russian colleague of hers who is married to a Frenchman and living near Nancy and Strasbourg.

I have spend all last week getting ready and preparing the car and other necessary details, like booking a ferry trip and also a hotel for an overnight stay in St. Quentin, about 2 1/2 hours away from Calais, which is situated North east of Paris. Our trip will take us through Reims, a major town and also Nancy another large city but we will be driving mostly on motorways.

We are living home at 14.00 towards South East and it takes about 1 1/2 hour on M25/M20 to arrive at the port of Dover.

Then catching the 16.45 P & O Pride of Dover Ferry, arriving at Calais at 19.15 local time and then on the E15/A26 towards our night stop over in St. Quentin.

Tomorrow after breakfast we hope to have a look around before continuing our trip and have planned some stop overs to Rheims and also to Nancy town.

When we will be back I will add more information and photos about our trip but for now here is a small map and another couple of photos for now.

Post Number:#55  PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010 11:20 
Admin

On our way - Overnight stay at St Quentin

Left home at around 14.30 and we arrived at Dover just before 16.00. No problems there and had to wait a little for the incoming ferry.

Very uneventful trip on the Ferry and on arrival in Calais we hit the A26 road south towards St. Quentin arriving there after 2 hours. The Motorways in France are excellent, well signposted and we had no problems at all.

I was advised to buy a Sat navigation system but as it happens my Russian Tom Tom [wink.gif] proved to be an excellent guide and navigator during all our trip in France, Luxembourg, Belgium and back to France on the way to Calais via Lille.

Finding the hotel proved more tricky but the google earth photos was very helpful. I only had to ask some young boys for direction to the hotel which was just 100 metres down the road. [embarrased.gif]

We stayed at "Le Florence" one night and felt that the hotel was very good value for money. We booked a large room in the renovated building and it was clean, spacious and comfortable. There were no amenities, such as shampoo, etc, or even a hairdryer or kettle, but you can ask for these things at the reception. The free wireless internet was a nice touch but I did not take with us my Lap top. [rolfsmall.gif]

We arrived around 9.30 pm and the private carpark was nearly full, but managed to find a space, which was quite convenient. Breakfast was ok (I think it was 6 euros per person) and the hotel staff was helpful and friendly and the food was good. So, overall, a positive experience, mainly because of the location of the hotel (it's also easy to reach from the highway) and the value for money.

Next morning after breakfast we went out for a stroll in the centre of the town.

The industrial town of St- Quentin (pop. 59,066) lies on the right bank of the canalized Somme. Originally the Roman settlement of Augusta Veromanduorum, it takes its present name from the third C. Christian martyr St Quintinus or Quentin.

The hub of the town's traffic is the Place de l'Hôtel- de- Ville, in which is a monument (1896) commemorating a Spanish victory over the French in 1557.

Around the square are a number of elegant buildings - the Town Hall (begun in 1331, with a Gothic facade of 1509; carillon), the Theater and, off to the northeast, the massive collegiate church of St- Quentin (12th-15th C.), with two high transepts and a beautiful apse decorated with reliefs. Under the choir is a ninth C. crypt containing the tombs of St Quentin and his companions.

To the south of the Place de l'Hôtel-de-Ville is the Museum of Entomology, with a large collection of insects, including over 600,000 butterflies and moths. North of the square is the Musée Lécuyer, which has a famous collection of 80 pastels by Quentin de la Tour (1704- 1788).

Photos from the trip and St. Quentin

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

End of our stay in St Quentin!

Post Number:#56  PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010 12:05 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I think you missed your calling in life Wiz.

You should have been a photographer for a travel guide company. Great photos.

Post Number:#57  PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010 10:53 
Admin

Turbo

Thanks for your compliment.

As you know I have been working in the travel business and when I started my own company I had to take my own photos, as the professionals where very expensive for my pocket at the time. I have created my own web sites and of course I enjoyed taking photos, wherever I have been travelling.

Here are the links to my old NOT WORKING NOW sites: Holidays to Greece and also Holidays in Ukraine

Now of course it's one of my hobbies...... and writing travel reports helps me to keep a diary of my/our activities.

I also think adding photos in the travel reports and other posts makes the posts more pleasant to read and of course photos give better impression on my posts.

Her majesty (my wife) and the Political debates on TV has kept me busy but I promise when I get some time to continue my trip report in France, as I have many nice photos to post too.

Post Number:#58  PostPosted: 09 May 2010 19:25 
Admin

Next stop Reims

After spending our morning walking around St. Quentin it was time to move on to our next stop, which was Reims, a couple of hours driving south on the A26. As I said before the motorways in France are excellent and the French drivers don't worry about the speed so I had to follow and was driving with speeds of over 90 miles arriving in Reims in less than 2 hours.

REIMS (pronounced like a nasal "Rance", and traditionally spelled Rheims in English) may give the first impression of being a large industrial centre with little to redeem it. However, the town is not as large as it looks, and there are other reasons for visiting here. Apart from its status as champagne capital of the world, Reims possesses one of the most impressive Gothic cathedrals in France – formerly the coronation church of dynasties of French monarchs going back to Clovis, first king of the Franks – whose 1500th anniversary celebrations in 1996 provoked fierce controversy between Catholics and secularists.

The old centre of Reims stretches from the cathedral and its adjacent episcopal palace north to place de la République's triumphal Roman arch, the Porte de Mars, punctuated by the grand squares of place Royale, place du Forum and place de l'Hôtel-de-Ville.

Over to the south, about fifteen minutes' walk from the cathedral, is the other historical focus of the town, the Abbaye de St-Remi, and nearby the Jesuits' College. To the east of here are most of the champagne maisons and, further east still, a museum of cars.

Post Number:#59  PostPosted: 12 May 2010 18:24 
Admin

On the way to our final destination

Having been around Reims we decided to have lunch and found a nice small restaurant near the Cathedral. Having rested for over an hour and enjoyed a nice lunch it was time to hit the road and for the next 4 hours we drove south and east towards.

Getting off the main motorway and turning east the scenery started changing and was looking more Alpine as we were going up the winding road. As I am not good in describing with words the beautiful scenery, I thing it's better to let the photos take my place and give you a better picture.

Post Number:#60  PostPosted: 18 May 2010 15:29 
Admin

Gerardmer

At around 19.30, after driving for 3 hours on the A26 and then N4 to the east, gone through the Alpine winding roads, we started approaching our final destination, the small town of Gerardmer!

GERARDMER, is a small town of 9,600 inhabitants, located in the Hautes-Vosges, is not only a well-known health and summer resort, but also a large winter sports resort boasting a variety of installations.

Set in the heart of a luxurius, well-protected natural place, nestling between a lake and the imposing forests, GERARDMER it's a very nice place to visit and that is where our Russian/French couple of friends is living.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next