All times are UTC

Post subject: Amsterdam
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010 15:40 
Banned

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
Moby in Amsterdam

Funny thing is I am 51 and have been to the environs of this city twice before - but circumstances dictated that I never had the time to check it out - until Yesterday...!

Having met Herrie and his lovely partner [ Moby is touring all the posters he upsets - so I'll be in your city, soon ] ....I had time to kill before the Dutch 'speed -diallers' AGM
[ private joke ] with Markje ....

So, I took a boat trip around the canals.. WELL worth a trip on a 'so so' day weather-wise) ..the architecture is so interesting and the planners of 360+ years ago should be proud of their foresight .

The newspapers had loads of photos of a tree being blown over - it was outside Anne Frank's house and the planners had been arguing it's fate.. if in doubt invite Moby -he will bring strong winds and thunderstorms where-ever he goes and you can have a 'clear out' http://tinyurl.com/2e7z5ss ]

I honestly forgot about the red light district and hash cafes until I encountered a few 'interesting shops' selling what looked like electric toothbrushes

Saw loads of Russian speaking tourists ( some of them may have locked quite good and I normally wouldn't notice ! ) .. must take Veta here ..

Thank to Herrie, Tanya, Markje and Lena for the hospitality !

Ah well.. who can I upset and visit, next ? .. I was thinking to 'wind up' a few antipodeans [wink.gif] :lol:

( Manage to escape NL and circumvent Antwerp ring road ... Utrecht is pretty and will now check out Gent in Belgium before heading for the ferry )

Amsterdam - Before the storms of the evening!

Amsterdam - Nemo Centre

The East India Company Flag

Amsterdam - memories of Van der Valk

Amsterdam - The Hermitage Art Gallery

Amsterdam - Replica of Dutch East India Company ship of the line

Post subject: Re: Amsterdam
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010 19:08 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
msmobyru wrote:
Moby in Amsterdam

Quote:
Funny thing is I am 51 and have been to the environs of this city twice before - but circumstances dictated that I never had the time to check it out - until Yesterday...!

I honestly forgot about the red light district and hash cafes until I encountered a few 'interesting shops' selling what looked like electric toothbrushes
And you din't go in? [tonque.gif]

Quote:
Ah well.. who can I upset and visit, next ? .. I was thinking to 'wind up' a few antipodeans [wink.gif] :lol:

( Manage to escape NL and circumvent Antwerp ring road ... Utrecht is pretty and will now check out Gent in Belgium before heading for the ferry )
You are not going to upset Shadow. Are you? [rolf.gif]

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010 19:13 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
Gent is on the bad side of Antwerp, if you next time get to the Hasselt area, look me up.

We could 'shill' together. [aferim.gif]

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010 20:56 
Admin

Shadow wrote:
Gent is on the bad side of Antwerp, if you next time get to the Hasselt area, look me up.

We could 'shill' together. [aferim.gif]

So you survived this time......... [rolf.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 26 Aug 2010 00:33 
Banned

Hi Shadow !

I'm back on the Ferry from Dunkirk, now.. DREADFUL weather, tonight, on the roads.. Gent would have been nice..:(

To kill time, I drove to Oostende and all the way down the coast road following the tram route .. I NEVER knew there were so many resorts along this coast and all connected by the tram line..

Strangely there weren't many people out .. this is supposed to be SUMMER ? !

Be careful about 'inviting' me.. you just never know.. :lol:

Post Number:#  PostPosted: 26 Aug 2010 02:46 
Moby,

Nataly and I also enjoyed Amsterdam, we took the boat ride and felt the same way, beautiful scenery and interesting architecture. Markje is not a big fan, but maybe because he has lived there for so long he doesn't appreciate it, but we found it to be a very charming city. My only complaint would be that it's not as clean as other cities we visited throughout Europe, probably something to do with the marijuana tourists and young people the city attracts.

Even the red light district was fun. We hung out, had a few beers at a corner pub and watched the "transactions" taking place. Not your everyday people watching, but very entertaining. Don't try and take photo's of the working girls though, Nataly found out this is not ok. [bat.gif] By the looks and accents I could pick up, many of the girls seem to be from Eastern Europe.

All in all a great walking (or biking) city for those that like a little something different and can appreciate the rowdy nightlife as well as the history, museums and culture. [thumbs.gif]

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 26 Aug 2010 06:05 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

RW_here_since: May 09
Times_to_FSU: 20+
Moby

Please do not tell me your back in the UK already [underchair.gif] we were only just getting used to you being away [rolf.gif]

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 26 Aug 2010 10:13 
Banned

Yes, sparky114 - I'm back and I thought I'd post some photos and found our wiz has AGAIN -f*cked up MY OP [angry.gif]

Wiz - not for the first time - if I ask you to edit / enhance my posts - I have no problem - I DID NOT ASK YOU to post images that might be attributable to me..

Kindly re-edit my OP -

a) either put it back as it was, or

b) mark it CLEARLY at top that you inserted the images - if they are your images fine, say so - if they are someone else's - I simply don't wish to be associated with 'em.

You ain't going to get any more TR's from me if you insist on playing with my posts - shame it was too wet to go in the garden .... ;)

Jinx:

I found it to be a LOT cleaner than many other European cities I've seen of late :roll:

Post Number:#  PostPosted: 26 Aug 2010 10:21 
msmobyru wrote:
Yes, sparky114 - I'm back and I thought I'd post some photos

Hey Moby, nice photos of Amsterdam, I see that you're riding the canal boats! [good1.gif]

Oh wait a minute, is that a big hash pipe in your hand? [surprised.gif] [cheer.gif]

And who is that buxom blonde wrapped around you? :shock: [neinnein.gif]

[rolf.gif] [rolf.gif] [rolf.gif]

say hi to Mrs moby..... [underchair.gif]

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 26 Aug 2010 12:11 
Admin

Moby

I think you are becoming paranoid too..... [tonque.gif]

I posted my own photos to reserve the space... and all you had to do is to let me have the URLS to replace them, otherwise how you going to drop them in?
Now I delete them!

Never mind you ALWAYS know better....... [sarcastic.gif]

obviously you do not have the same taste as me [tonque.gif]