All times are UTC

Post subject: Getting an American (USA) tourist visa for your FSUW!
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011 02:27 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Things to Know about getting her that USA visa!

I should start by saying that not all countries are created equal when it comes to travel to the USA and life is not fair. If you worry about such things, then you might want to pass up looking for serious relations in the FSU because in 2011, there is no guarantee your FSUW will be able to get a visa and odds do get considerable worse depending on where she lives because the approval rates for tourist visas (as related to me by a friend) is:

Russia - 94%
Ukraine - 66%

That's for the total population, so the odds are even lower if your FSUW is single (we hope), young, and attractive. So should you even try, I would say yes because the ladies I communicated with in the past have had very good luck getting tourist visa, is that coincidental, not at all because it has more than a little to do with the type of lady I have selected to date. The characteristics they had in common that probably contributed to their getting a visa were the following:

1. Well traveled, and we are not talking about just Turkey or Egypt, but instead have visited the EU on many occasions (all had made at least 10 trips throughout Europe and elsewhere in the world). I truly feel this is the most important reason they received their visas.

2. All had good jobs/careers, with known companies, and had white incomes on a western standard. In the case of three, they all used the same reason to visit which was to do a little shopping and some sightseeing (it made things more believable, plus it was the truth).

3. They all came to the interview dressed the part of young professionals and they all are confident and strong women so I doubt they gave the interviewer much reason to doubt their intentions.

4. They were all Russians (see the above statistic).

5. They all had assets in that they owned their apartments, had cars, and had money in the bank. I should add, none of them thought this mattered as the supporting documents were not asked for as in their cases only one or two questions were asked and they had their approval in under 2 minutes.

OK, absent the above conditions, I think you are talking about a 50/50 proposition and need to really think about it. I know a man who's FSUW was just denied her visa and he did everything he read a person should do to have success as he sent her to Hungry to get an EU stamp, wired her money so she would have some in the bank account (I hope he gets it back [confused.gif] ), wrote a letter of invite from his family, and registered her in a conference (for a reason to come). Unfortunately, he was working the system and the interviewers are probably better than average when it comes to figuring out something is not right. In this case, she was asked about why she'd attend the conference and her response was "it's in Washington" which is not the best answer for a number of reasons. Needless, she was denied with the biggest lesson I think one can learn is that you just need to tell the truth, in that you are coming to do some shopping and sightseeing (which everyone will do when here). I'm not convinced there is much benefit from the man writing a letter, but others feel it's important.

So when in doubt, it's probably just better that you make a few additional trips to see her and save her American experiment for a K-1 visa.

What would others add based on your own experience and what you have heard from others?

Post subject: Re: Getting an American (USA) tourist visa for your FSUW!
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011 06:14 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Having been around these boards for years I have read too many stories about getting a visa and mostly been refused one and now the immigration Authorities of the USA and also the UK are getting much tougher, in approving a tourist visa.

I agree with your description about the requirements for the lady to pass the interview test but you obviously have attracted some very well off RW but not all of them can present or have the requirements of the new visa regime imposed by the two above mentioned countries.

In our case, when it was time for Hanna to come and visit me in the UK for the Christmas of 2007 and the new year, it wasn't bad at all, Hanna had all the necessary requirements, Apartment on her own name, working as a Teacher and had a Bank account with money of her own and importantly an old age mother that she was supporting.

Application was made during my September 2007 visit there, for 20 days, and it was approved by post in 24 hours. She came over on December and stayed for a month, with no hassle. The following year that we got married she had to visit the British Visa Centre in Moscow to apply, give her Biometrics, deliver a very large file of various documents to get her entrance visa to UK and that was approved in 24 hours.

I think now days a young sexy Russian woman, with not owning her apartment, having not enough money in her bank account, not a steady and well paid "Officially" job and not under the counter, has very little change of getting a tourist visa to UK.

I also agree with you that the best policy is always to say the truth and know how to present it. For example in my letter to the consulate, in support of her entrance visa for settlement in the UK, I stated that ....... " I have visited Ufa 14 times" and had the Flight printout record from Aeroflop to proved it [wink.gif] ...... but I didn't go to details telling them that the first 7 trips were to visit another RW in the same area..........

Ok I agree I was "Economical with the truth" as they say here but I wasn't lying either! [lol.gif]

I have a middle age woman friend of mine from Kiev that she has no problems getting a visa to UK or a Schegen Visa to any country in Europe. In actual fact she always have both... and she has been here too many times (only last year visited the UK twice for nearly a month) and also all over Europe. She is still looking to find a partner and I think in her case...... she will be able to travel with no problems whatsoever, apart from the costs.

Immigration as you say is not applied fairly to all countries but that's politics for you.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011 00:41 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
The only bits that I can add here is that, at least in my opinion (and regarding the UK) a letter from the sponsor i.e. the person inviting the foreigner (regardless of where the foreigner lives) is an important part of the success in the granting of a visa.

It also helps if the letter hints that the inviter knows what he is talking about regarding the conditions imposed on the visa requested.

Just as an example, from the letter that I wrote to the British Embassy in Moscow in support of my fiancée's last visa.
"Please note, we are applying for a visitor visa and not a fiancée visa and that is because a fiancée visa is for settlement in the UK and currently we have no plans to settle in the UK"

Or in other words, I know what I am talking about so unless you have very good reasons be careful.

At least that is how I see it.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011 23:07 
Expert Member

RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
I should post an update on this topic. My friend had his FSUW apply again for a tourist visa, this time armed with a letter from his Senator and Congress women. The result was having his FSUW get yelled at by a young embassy employee who thought she had to right trying to circumvent the process by getting letters from elected officials. End result, she was denied!