All times are UTC

Post subject: Cyprus Pro-Visa for Russians
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011 19:00 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: 10+
On-line Pro-Visa to visit Cyprus for Russians

Have any Russian partners applied for an on-line Pro-Visa to visit Cyprus from Russia, we are looking to go in June and my wife and son will fly from Russia, the Pro-Visa looks very convenient, just wanting to know the experiences of anybody who has used this method rather than the usual Schengen visa which requires pre-booked hotels, passports being sent to Moscow and all the associated expense and hassle.

Is the Pro-visa as simple as it appears ?

http://archive.travel.ru/cyprus/formalities/visas/

thanks

Julian

Post subject: Re: Cyprus Pro-Visa for Russians
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011 19:51 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Hello Julian and [welcomeback.gif]

Personally I have not travelled to Cyprus with my Russian wife, but I followed the links and it appears that the Cypriot government is providing a Free Visa to Cyprus with this PRO-VISA application to visitors from Russia.

Don't forget that Cyprus and Moscow had always close relationship and now that the president is the leader of AKEL (communistic Party) to drum business.... have come with this easy solution, as Cyprus is not yet a full member of the EU Directive 2004/38/EU.

So in my view everything looks fine........ and your wife must download the application and complete in ENGLISH using MS word.

You have nothing to loose if your wife make the application...... [wink.gif]

Good luck. [thumbs.gif]

Subtleties of a new visa to Cyprus

May 21 2009, 18:25

Cyprus has recently introduced a new procedure for issuing visas for tourists from Russia. It has already been tested by travelers in practice and in principle, works quite well. However, remember that to enter on such a lite mode only through the airports of Larnaca and Paphos. All arriving on the island in a different way to apply for the visa in the usual manner. In addition, to arrive at such a visa can only be of Russian airports, according to GSS. corr. Travel.ru.

The fact that airlines in some degree responsible for ensuring that passengers documents authorizing them to visit the countries where they are flying. If the passenger does not miss the border control in the country of arrival, the airline will be obliged to take him back at his own expense. In this case, track all changes in visa airlines can not. To do this they are guided by the system Timatic, which is precisely, and provides all this information as quickly as possible.

A system Timatic said that the new visa rule applies only if you depart from Russia.

http://www.travel.ru/news/2009/05/21/170639.html

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011 10:19 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: 10+
Thanks WIZ, next questions are; can anybody advise on a good tour operator or travel agent in Russia, before we have used TEZ tour and i think they are expensive and poor quality and will try to avoid them in future, personally i have very little experience of tour operators but bad ones and i do not like to go to places full of Russians, not because i have an issue with Russians but usually the hoists treat them badly, poor food and service because they can get away with it and most Russians don't know what good service is, they couldn't give Germans that low level of service and get away with it. I prefer to arrange everything myself and not be hearded about like cattle, basically i am looking for somebody in Russia i can trust (i know thats a difficult ask) to offer good prices on flights, travel insurance and maybe holliday packages or Hotels. The town in which my wife lives the travel agent is rubbish, they just sell what they have at an extortionate price and the local Rooskies believe all that they are told which is usually wrong, especially when it comes to visa info and quality of resorts.

Yes i know i can book most things from UK , but it's good to have another option and sometimes it can be cheaper, and if my wife wants to visit Europe then she must book through a Russian agent to get Hotel invitation and visa, and always there is the questions about travel and medical insurance, any Roosky partners have a good Russian travel policy they can recommend. Which brings me to another question, what if a Russian wants to go on Holiday to Europe to tour about and go to different places and choose hotels when there ? how can you do that, to get the visa you need a Hotel paid for all nights, i hate being tied to this system, can you get European visa from Russia without being fixed to a hotel ?

Over the past 5 years we have had many flights in and out of Russia and generally i find buying flights from Europe side cheaper than buying flights in Russia , but thats because i know where to look and my wife tells me that i can usually find better price than she can for internal flights. Anybody know of a Russian website for flight prices and searches so i can compare prices, i normal just go direct to S7, Aeroflot, Transaero etc but is there a site which compares all and offers better prices ?

And finally can anybody recommend a good place to go in Cyprus, wether is be self catering apartment or hotel ? some place next to sea with nice sandy beaches or within short distance.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011 12:24 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
I see you haven't asked many questions [biggrin.gif] .......... despite that you have al the answers... [very_funny.gif]

Never mind... back to my old hat and here are some replies:

• Talking from my own personal experience all agents and tour operators in Russia are rip off merchants ..... and for sure you will not find the same prices as we do here in UK for flights and accommodation, anywhere they offer package holidays.

The main reason for that is that there are just very few outbound tour operators who do not contract guaranteed accommodation..... (they must pay full contract price for the season) but work on allotment contracts...... which are charged more expensive (naturally) by the hoteliers or apartment owners or local travel agents.

Example: When I was making arrangement to meet a lady from Russia in Kos, the agent and tour operator were asking her for $1500 HB single room in a 4* hotel, including flights. I was operating the same hotel from the UK, so I booked the hotel on my contract prices.... for £10 a night Double room BB..... (I was going to stay there too!) [wink.gif]

Then looked around and found her a Transaero charter ticket for around £250 return from Moscow..... so make your calculations and see the difference and we only paid extra 60 Euro for Visa!

If I was you I would try and do it myself...... if you are not busy .. but you have the time anyway!

1. Make the application and get her Pro-visa document or number.

2. Flights: A quick look around for 14 days round trip from Moscow to Larnaca in June, Czech airlines comes with prices from £240 and Transaero to Paphos nearly £300.
    Aeroflot and Cyprus airways..... Well over £400 return...... to Larnaca.

3. There are many sites in UK that you can book affordable accommodation... like Booking.com, Hotels4you, Octapus Travel etc.

4. To enjoy your holiday in Cyprus I suggest you hire a car.........

5. Paphos is a popular destination and noce place with plenty of Good hotels......., Larnaca and Protaras but you know you have to avoid Aya Napa.... [nono.gif]

So That is what I would have done!

[drinks.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011 14:42 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Further to the information supplied by Wiz.

Regarding hotels in Cyprus check out this site
  • http://www.eurobookings.com/country/cyprus.html?q=rmcnf:1[2,0];frm:1;

As far as booking airline tickets, I use:
  • http://www.kayak.co.uk/

• http://www.anywayanyday.com/

• http://uk.bestfares.amadeus.net/

All the flight search sites do also provide hotel booking facilities.

Sorry that I have not provided links but I do not want to get my Image for providing links to commercial sites [LOL1.gif]

You can though copy the text and paste it into your browser