All times are UTC

Post subject: Visa Question
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011 10:03 

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: 11
Newbie on Deck!!!

I met my Russian gf in Spain last year. We have been dating and i have been to Moscow three time in the last 7 months and she has been to the UK 3 times also. We are going to get married and i have applied for a tourist visa to go back in a couple of weeks time to finalise our plans and meet some of her family.

I applied personally for the tourist visa with a LOI from a company that my gf uses in the course of her work. I have used them before and have always got the visa.

I had a phone call from VFS Global saying that the Russian Consulate wanted clarification or more information as to why i wanted the visa. I have written a letter telling them the truth about my reasons.

I am a little concerned that i may not get the visa this time. In members' experiences does anyone know or can anyone give me an educated opinion as to whether this is likely to be a problem.

Could it be that they were making sure i was not intending to go to Russia for commercial purposes on a tourist visa, or is this sort of thing fairly routine? Am i worrying for no good reason?

I have read on sites that it is acceptable to use tourist visas for private business but the contact from the embassy has made me a little uneasy.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated....

Thanks

James

Post subject: Re: Visa Question
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011 13:02 

Her/His Country: UK
Times_to_FSU: Many times
Hello James and welcome to the Board

Not much experience with the Russian Consulate but personally don't see any reason why to refuse you a tourist visa.

Always make sure you the any Consulates the truth.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011 13:38 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
James [welcome1.gif]

I see you have been a very busy man the last 7 months.....
and that in my view is the best way to get to know each other better.
What is very good is that your girlfriend has visited the UK 3 times already! [wink.gif]
That will go down very well later when she applies for a spouse Visa! [clap.gif]

Personally I think if you have told them the truth there will be no problem. Your Visa is Tourist so your only problem I expect is the Registration, when in Russia, which now requires to be done in 7 working days and not 3 as before. Of course you have been through the same procedures before but maybe somebody has been nosey!

I visited Russia 14 times and only one time I was asked why you visit so often Russia.... so I told them that she is an attractive woman and I like to get to know her very well.... [biggrin.gif] No problem! [hurrah.gif]

When you have free time tell us more about your story, it will make a very interesting reading and we love such travel reports to read!

I don't know how much reading have you done on the board sofar but here is: My own travel report!

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011 22:39 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
James Imageand Image to the forum.

I don't see any reason why you should be denied a tourist visa.

I have had continuous visas for Russia since May 2007.

For roughly the first 18 months I applied for a visa with an LOI supplied by the company the I worked for.

For the first 18 months it was a technical assistance visa and I travelled to London myself, OK the company paid for a return flight from Scotland to London + for an overnight stay.

Once the job in Russia came to an end and I had to get the visas under my own steam I used an agency based in London for my Russian visas and I applied for and received 12 month business visas without any problems.

A link to the agency that I use can be found here Image to Real Russia

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011 10:19 

Thanks guys for your replies.

I will at some point let you know my full story.

Hard to believe that back in September last year i was on a guys holiday in Spain - (just an annual get together with some old school friends - we are all 41 now)- a couple of women walk in to a bar i was in, they happened to be Russian, one (my girlfriend) spoke perfect English and i could not take my eyes of her and neither my mind.....

First trip to Moscow in November, the 2nd in December, She came here in Jan and Feb, i went back in March and she was here in May. Hopefully (i will find out on Thursday) i will return to Moscow on June 20th with Apostilled CNI and other documents to see her again and sort out the nuptials.....

Will keep you all posted

Thanks again

James

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011 14:32 
Expert Member

RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
jamesmeston wrote:
Thanks guys for your replies.

I will at some point let you know my full story.

Hard to believe that back in September last year i was on a guys holiday in Spain - (just an annual get together with some old school friends - we are all 41 now)- a couple of women walk in to a bar i was in, they happened to be Russian, one (my girlfriend) spoke perfect English and i could not take my eyes of her and neither my mind.....

First trip to Moscow in November, the 2nd in December, She came here in Jan and Feb, i went back in March and she was here in May. Hopefully (i will find out on Thursday) i will return to Moscow on June 20th with Apostilled CNI and other documents to see her again and sort out the nuptials.....

Will keep you all posted

Thanks again

James

James,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. I have heard of a few stories like yours where two people meet on vacation and fall in love (wait, I might be confusing that with movies [veryhappy.gif] ). Anyways, it's good to know it happens in real life and I wish you well!

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011 13:54 

[thanks.gif] everyone

Just to complete this part of the story - those friendly people at the Russian consulate did grant the visa so it is panic over.... Moscow 20th Jone is a go!

Could i ask one further piece of advice?

I have the CNI, Decree Absolute and a letter requesting Marriage Registration that my gf said i need to have signed by me, notarised and apostilled. it confirms that i am doing this willingly and also which name i wish to take once married etc.

Can anyone tell me if they have also had to produce such a letter? Its just that i have seen no mention of it on this site - just the CNI and the Decree Absolute.

And finally, does the CNI and the Decree Absolute have to notarised and Apostilled or is it just Apostilled?

Thanks in advance - once again.

Over the next week or so i will start to add my story in a bit more detail....

Cheers

James

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011 18:35 

jamesmeston wrote:
Could i ask one further piece of advice?

I have the CNI, Decree Absolute and a letter requesting Marriage Registration that my gf said i need to have signed by me, notarised and apostilled. it confirms that i am doing this willingly and also which name i wish to take once married etc.

Can anyone tell me if they have also had to produce such a letter? Its just that i have seen no mention of it on this site - just the CNI and the Decree Absolute.

And finally, does the CNI and the Decree Absolute have to notarised and Apostilled or is it just Apostilled?
AS far as I am aware the CNI does not need to be notarised.
I have just sent a CNI off to Milton Keynes to get it legalised (apostiled) with out it being notarised.

Regarding the letter that you are talking about, I had to produce a document (while in Russia) that contained all the information that your GF stated. My document had to be translated verbally in-front of the Notary before the Notary would notarise it.
I an sure though that if your GF says that a letter from you will satisfy the ZAGS in her district then you should not have any problems. Be prepared to have to translate it into Russian (better done in Russia).

HTH

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011 07:49 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
I don't remember having write or sign any other letter apart from the application form (in Russian) in front of the registrar, which my wife did on my behalf and also filled her info on the other side of the application.......

Normally is the woman who has to state her new name........that she prefers to be known, so make sure she writes correctly your surname to avoid problems when time comes to change her passport to a New International one. When she applies for new passport tell your partner to make sure....... they type the correct spelling too!

Any how, I am sure you read that after applying for a wedding day, you are normally required to wait for 31 days before the ceremony take place BUT the law has an exception and your partner can write a letter stating the reasons why you request an earlier date.

I arrived on the 9 June and we were get married on the 14 June, so after that we had plenty of time to organise Visa etc for her to come to the UK.

Good luck anyway.

[cheer.gif]

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011 11:29 

wiz wrote:
I don't remember having write or sign any other letter apart from the application form (in Russian) in front of the registrar, which my wife did on my behalf and also filled her info on the other side of the application...

Whether a letter is needed or not depends on a few factors.
The two that spring immediately to mind are:
  • As we know every ZAGS has slightly different requirements.

• If you wish for your future wife to deal with the documentation while you are absent she will require the equivalent of a "Power of Attorney"

So in my opinion if the ZAGS in question says that they require a letter it is easier to comply with them than to have to argue with them.

"wiz" Please note that this is My opinion [tonque.gif]