All times are UTC

Post subject: Vacation in Ireland with my UK spouse
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012 18:24 

Her/His Country: RU
I'm just curious. Do I need to apply for a tourist visa to go on vacation to Ireland with my British husband or does the 2004/38/EC directive apply and I can enter freely as long as accompanying him?

If the 2004/38/EC directive applies, does the Irish boarder control know about this directive and follow it [biggrin.gif] ?

I'm a russian citizen living with my British spouse in France. I have a permanent residence in France (in case this matters). I've been to every country in Europe, except for Ireland & UK. James (my husband) told me it would be quite difficult for me to get a UK tourist visa (he is not a habitual resident in the UK), but I hope visiting Ireland wouldn't require any paperwork.

Post subject: Re: Vacation in Ireland with my UK spouse
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012 21:19 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
lanaasta wrote:
I'm just curious. Do I need to apply for a tourist visa to go on vacation to Ireland with my British husband or does the 2004/38/EC directive apply and I can enter freely as long as accompanying him?

If the 2004/38/EC directive applies, does the Irish boarder control know about this directive and follow it [biggrin.gif] ?

I'm a russian citizen living with my British spouse in France. I have a permanent residence in France (in case this matters). I've been to every country in Europe, except for Ireland & UK. James (my husband) told me it would be quite difficult for me to get a UK tourist visa (he is not a habitual resident in the UK), but I hope visiting Ireland wouldn't require any paperwork.

Well you are a very lucky woman, when it comes to travelling around Europe without the need of a Visa, Schegen or any other, thanks to the Directive 2004/38/EU....... The same applies for my wife Hanna too.......... and we have used it extensively, as you must have seen on my travel report.

I understand that you must have exercised the right to join your British husband, James, an EU citizen, who live and work in France and you have applied and issued a French Resident Card (Carte de Séjour) as Family member of an EU National (CE membre de famille, toutes activités professionnelles), which now is permanent.

For your information and tell James that visiting the UK and Ireland (Eire) you DO NOT need any visa because the UK for years has been accepting the article 5(2) of the directive and does not require you to have any other visa. The Irish were e bit slow... until a Greek citizen, wiz .... me [biggrin.gif] made a petition to the EU Parliament for not implementing the EU Directive.... and the result is here. viewtopic.php?p=11005#p11005 [yahoo.gif]

Actually, first I petition against Greece, (they changed the law), then France and finally the Irish to the EU Parliament and now we can travel anywhere in the EU without Visa.

If you visit Ireland, may I suggest the you make a copy of the law, which I published at the link I gave you earlier...... because airlines are the one's causing us trouble..... they don't know, so I always have a copy with me.

May I ask you which part of Russia you are coming from?

If you ever fly back to UK via Gatwick.... let us know and Hanna and I will be pleased to buy you a coffee.

Bon noui .... atut taler madam Lana.

[goodnight.gif]

PS: This is my last battleground ..... Russia.
I hope soon Mr Putin will make some changes to the Law.........

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43

I will continue writing letters to the New President, till he gets fed up and offer me a 5 year multi entry visa....... [angry2.gif]

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012 00:07 

Her/His Country: RU
Well, for us it's been a bit different as we first did 2 years of long-distance (I traveled every other month to meet James in Europe), then I came to France on a student visa as both of us were quite skeptical about getting married so soon. We lived together for 3 years before we finally got married which wasn't easy due to the well-known French bureaucracy. And then we fought with our prefecture which was reluctant to change my status and give me the appropriate residence permit. So, up until recently I was traveling freely all over Europe with my student CDS (carte de sejour). I've been everywhere from Cyprus & Greece to Iceland & Greenland without any visas or extra paperwork.

My new, permanent TDS (titre de sejour) is - as you correctly noticed - that of a spouse of an EU citizen. James lives and works in France since 2000. So I finally can make use of the rights provided to us by the directive 2004/38/CE. He's not a big fighter for his rights like you are [thumbs.gif] , so it's all left to me [drink-coffee.gif]

To answer your question, I come from St. Petersbourg and now live near Nice, which is a good change in terms of weather.

What's up with the Russian visas for UK spouses of Russian citizens? In the Russian consulate in Marseille they told me that there is a new simplified procedure which doesn't require an official invitation if the EU citizen is traveling together with his Russian spouse BUT this doesn't apply to the UK citizens. Having said that, James has never been to Russia yet as he's afraid of all sorts of troubles with the visa, registration etc.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012 14:29 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
lanaasta wrote:
Well, for us it's been a bit different as we first did 2 years of long-distance (I traveled every other month to meet James in Europe), then I came to France on a student visa as both of us were quite skeptical about getting married so soon. We lived together for 3 years before we finally got married which wasn't easy due to the well-known French bureaucracy. And then we fought with our prefecture which was reluctant to change my status and give me the appropriate residence permit. So, up until recently I was traveling freely all over Europe with my student CDS (carte de sejour). I've been everywhere from Cyprus & Greece to Iceland & Greenland without any visas or extra paperwork.

My new, permanent TDS (titre de sejour) is - as you correctly noticed - that of a spouse of an EU citizen. James lives and works in France since 2000. So I finally can make use of the rights provided to us by the directive 2004/38/CE. He's not a big fighter for his rights like you are [thumbs.gif] , so it's all left to me [drink-coffee.gif]

To answer your question, I come from St. Petersbourg and now live near Nice, which is a good change in terms of weather.

What's up with the Russian visas for UK spouses of Russian citizens? In the Russian consulate in Marseille they told me that there is a new simplified procedure which doesn't require an official invitation if the EU citizen is traveling together with his Russian spouse BUT this doesn't apply to the UK citizens. Having said that, James has never been to Russia yet as he's afraid of all sorts of troubles with the visa, registration etc.

My wife and I wanted to live together for sometime..... but British Beaurocracy is difficult, as you know, so we decided (I asked her to marry me) ..... and we got married, used the directive and after 4 years.... we are still together. [hurrah.gif]

Any how whenever we had an argument .... and she said she wants to go back......I reminded her that a divorce in Russia costs only 400 Rubles..... but a return ticket.....over 500 Euro....... so she has a choice....... [very_funny.gif] ...

This morning, finally told me, that she can't live in Russia any more, even when her mother die...... will stay here. She is disappointed with the rudeness of the people and the bad service and a lot more. [lol.gif] [lol.gif] [lol.gif]

I have visited St Petersburg in February 2004, plenty of snow but I enjoyed my stay there.....lovely place.

The Russian Consulate in Marseilles is ignorant or bloody minded not to help a Russian woman married to a bloody foreigner. Nothing new about it!

You will find all the information here and it does apply to a British citizen too.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43&p=7748#p7748

Here is what it says the amemndement:

On the 2nd of March 2010, your Excellency signed the Federal Law “About Introducing Changes to the Federal Law On Procedures for Exit from and Entry to the Russian Federation from 15.08.1996”. It states that article 25 has an amendment now for issuing a visa for a foreign national on a basis of a Russian citizen’s written request about joint entry into Russia his/her relatives who are foreign citizens.

The law change refers to his/her relatives who are foreign citizens. and just British.... I suggest you ask them to verify this from the Russian Foreign office.

[biggrin.gif]