All times are UTC

Post subject: travel costs
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012 18:09 

Her/His Country: usa
RW_here_since: never
I wanted to visit Russia for more than a few days, maybe a few weeks. I know Moscow is very expensive. Is there another city that has allot to offer, but is cheaper. How much U.S does it cost to rent a room or do they have broading for longer visit other than hotels or motels, that would be expensive in any motel to stay for a few weeks. I guess what I'm trying to know is do they have like cottage's for rent like we got when we go on vacation, For example the little cottages parks on the road side that you rent for maybe a month or week. I don't know if a Russian person would even know what I'm trying to discribe?

Post subject: Re: travel costs
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012 20:49 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
There are tons of good towns to visit.

The 2 on the top of my list besides moscow are:

- St. Petersburg
- Kiev

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012 11:30 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I have never heard of anyone renting cottages or the like. Apartments are the way most of us like to go. It lets you cook your own meals and come and go about as you want. I have seen apartments in Moscow for just over $ 100.00 USD, in Kiev for $ 85 and other cities as low as $ 50.00.

To me St. Petersburg is the most beautiful city to visit, Moscow is interesting and Kiev is quite good. Nizney Novgorod was an interesting city as well. Odessa is a great city but expensive in the Summer. Rostov is nice. Perm is nice. Some of the cities such as Zaparosa and Maripol are dirty and not places I would want to vacation. Sochi is a pretty neat place but expensive and this is probably not a good time to go there. Actually other than the beach and the scenic views there wasn't a lot to see there but it was pretty.

Another cheap way to go that I have never tried is hostels. I don't have any first hand experience but there are a few from what I have heard.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012 17:15 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Turboguy wrote:
Another cheap way to go that I have never tried is hostels. I don't have any first hand experience but there are a few from what I have heard.

Donhollio is the one who have tried Hostels..... and for Moscow there is a post here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1797&p=11818&hilit=hostels#p11818

PS: Hi Turbo, hope all OK and you are very busy... regards to the other half!

[biggrin.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 29 Jul 2012 07:06 

Her/His Country: usa
RW_here_since: never
Turboguy wrote:
I have never heard of anyone renting cottages or the like. Apartments are the way most of us like to go. It lets you cook your own meals and come and go about as you want. I have seen apartments in Moscow for just over $ 100.00 USD, in Kiev for $ 85 and other cities as low as $ 50.00.

To me St. Petersburg is the most beautiful city to visit, Moscow is interesting and Kiev is quite good. Nizney Novgorod was an interesting city as well. Odessa is a great city but expensive in the Summer. Rostov is nice. Perm is nice. Some of the cities such as Zaparosa and Maripol are dirty and not places I would want to vacation. Sochi is a pretty neat place but expensive and this is probably not a good time to go there. Actually other than the beach and the scenic views there wasn't a lot to see there but it was pretty.

Do you mean month or day??????

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 29 Jul 2012 16:25 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
gary wrote:
Turboguy wrote:

Do you mean month or day??????

Prices will be per 1 day, if I check the rent websites.

Oxana has some nice places to stay in St. Petes

http://www.oksanas.net/studio_apartment ... t_page.asp

For less luxury places to stay (and thus, cheaper)
http://www.hotels.ru/eng/hotels/russia/ ... tira_5.htm

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012 01:53 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
Yes, the prices I quoted were per day. The longest trip I made was about 3 weeks but many of my trips were to more than one city. I recall where one guy receintly rented an apartment in Kiev by the month for 850 USD. I used to have an apartment I stayed in regularly in Moscow for $ 65.00 a night but I rarely hear under a hundred. Unkle Pasha is a good source of apartments in Moscow from what I hear but I never used him personally to know.