All times are UTC

Post subject: Step-son doesn't want to go back anymore...
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 15:04 

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: 7
Kirill's grandparents offered to pay for his flight to Russia this summer. We were not going to send him this year and were planning to to have him visit every alternate year. Hearing of this news Kirill is pretty firm that he does NOT want to go. Even using the phrase "you can't make me". Mila then turned to me to speak to him about it. I am not sure what to say on this front. Any advice?

Of course Mila also says she doesn't want to go as well. That probably doesn't help.

Post subject: Re: Step-son doesn't want to go back anymore...
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 15:08 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
You can try emotional appeal.

Your grandparents love you so much they even pay for your flight, you ungrateful b*st*rd.... ;-)

But personally, I would say that he will NOT have to go alone. Who will accompany him then, is between you and Mila.

See, I think he might be just scared of the idea to have to navigate major airports alone.

Mark.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 15:14 

Yes that is true. Last year I went with him to take him over and Mila's sister came back with him so he never had to travel alone.

Mila didn't enjoy our time apart so I doubt she wants me to make the trip again. Hmmm...catch 22....

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 15:58 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
Instead of sending your growing stepson over to some old people who live in the past, why don't you all go and have fun ? Or alternatively, as Kirill and Mila do not want to go and a ticket can be paid for, you go and have fun. [rolleyes.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 16:27 

Haha. Yeah that's a good idea. I will tell MIL that Kirill doesn't want the ticket and ask her to adopt me for two weeks instead. :D

Actually with Mila's new job about to start she wont have any vacation time earned yet as well so she actually can't go anywhere without taking time off without pay.

That is actually a problem for me since I have 4 weeks that I would love to do something with. I would like a trip to Finland again like I always try to do...but I don't think Mila will like it much...she accepted it last year but hated it once I was gone.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 16:55 
Banned

Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
Hi Froid

Such is life with extended families.. We we soon be separated ( lots) as Veta's Grandma is the wrong side of 90 and loosing her marbles [sad.gif]

Veta's Mum is complaining she can't cope... It is obvious she needs help from Veta

You are between a rock and a hard place... it is up to Mila to explain that Krill doesn't WANT to go without her, and that SHE can't go.... ( she can't say doesn't want to go - that would be too much [ for the parents] , I think !)

The worst thing that can happen is that Mila's parents will 'sulk'...

Can someone set Mila's parents up with a web cam, 'fast ' internet and SKYPE until such time as you CAN go ?

Crap.. wish I could be more 'creative' and helpful..

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 19:05 

Actually we already have Skype all over the family now. And Mila's and Kirill's friends back home have it as well. Except for the time difference they actually chat face to face pretty often.

I think next time I get asked to talk to him about it I will just ask him questions. Why don't you want to go? Don't you think you should visit people and family? etc etc. Maybe I can get to the bottom of his outright refusal and help the situation along somehow.

I can always hope he wont go unless I take him...then I can use some of my vacation in Russia. Haha.

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011 22:52 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Uzbekistan
Times_to_FSU: 8 and I hope the last!
Shadow wrote:
Instead of sending your growing stepson over to some old people who live in the past, why don't you all go and have fun ?

The economy airfare alone will be near $6000.00 [surprised.gif] We don't have the cheap ride like you guys in Europe.
Froid, do the outlaws not wish to visit Canada? Failing all trans Alantic travel, the 3 of you are welcome to visit the datcha here, we even have a sauna! Just tell them you want to take them on a 2500km trip across Ontario. Four tanks and your here.
The cottage is only about 1 klick from the Ontario border. Cheaper beer [drinks.gif] cheaper hydro, [thumbs.gif] and free accomidation!! [clap.gif]

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011 05:55 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Donhollio wrote:
The cottage is only about 1 klick from the Ontario border. Cheaper beer [drinks.gif] cheaper hydro, [thumbs.gif] and free accomidation!! [clap.gif]

And they will be delighted with the snow...... they will feel comfortable.. like back home. [tonque.gif]

Froid

Now it all depends of what you want to do with your 4 weeks holiday time otherwise is simple.

Mila is working and can't go with him in Russia...... boy doesn't want to go...... so take him somewhere where you both can have fun!

When my son's were young, mother, 3 hours by plane, down the road in Greece, I used to send them over to Corfu together with a friend of mine who enjoyed a free holiday.

My mother was happy to have them around, cook, clean etc.... and the boys were happy to go to the beach or anywhere else with my friend during the day...... and I was visiting at the weekends. [happy.gif]

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011 13:47 

Quote:
The economy airfare alone will be near $6000.00

Come on Don...it's not that much! Well...not for me here in the Centre of Canada anyway. Last time me and Kirill went to Moscow it was $1200+600.