All times are UTC

Post subject: Home Alone....
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 04 May 2011 08:26 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
Home Alone....

In about a 6 weeks, Lena will be gone for the first time since we had her permanent visa.

She will go home alone to deal with her homesickness. Therefore she intends to stay in Ukraine for 2 full months with our son and I will join her for a short vacation the last 2 weeks. Then we will fly home together.

The good:
Being alone that long, I have some time to catch up on broken house what needs repairing but is impossible to get done now.
I can do pretty much what I want, as long as I walk the dog and remember to eat.

The bad:
I am already missing her
I will miss her so much!
I totally want to go with her the whole 2 months instead of just 2 weeks.
I wish we had some teleportation device that was free, instead of planes.

So, the good does not outweigh the bad in these 2 months. I will feel miserable.

And this time, we will no longer fly cheap wizzair (because of our son) but we will fly with ukraine international, for a direct flight without layovers.

Usual travel plan:
2 hours by car to Dortmund Airport. Flight to Kiev, wait 3-4 hours, flight to Simferopol. 220 Euro pp , round-trip.

Total travel time: 14 hours.

Travel plan now.
4 hours by car to Frankfurt Airport. Fly to simferopol, for 440 Euro pp, round-trip. (+ extra gas for the extra 2 hours by car).

Total travel time: 10 hours.

Post subject: Re: Home Alone....
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 04 May 2011 09:05 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Mark,

Having sat behind a lady with a young child on the jump across the pond (proving that it can be done), I would have voted for the saved Euros and spent the 4 extra hours. Then again, I have been in the vicinity of crying babies and know that's more the norm.

Anyways, I think this is a curious question for the board, but is homesickness cured faster with fewer and longer visits or shorter and more frequent visits? The second part of the question is, does one need to spend an extended time at home to cure it as I was always thinking that once she returns home, she realizes that everything is not always better there and then desires to continue with their new life.

No matter what, I realize that its not an easy situation but also part of the bargain when we meet someone from overseas. So I wish you the best of luck and would suggest that you sneak in one or two short visits to go along with with your longer visit (maybe she can come down to Kyiv and meet your for a long weekend etc.).

Best of luck!

Cheesy

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 05 May 2011 12:19 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I can relate to that Markje, My wife will be heading back to Russia for two months in 13 days. I too will be doing some remodeling projects that are better done while she is gone since they will make a mess and RW and messes don't seem to go to well together.

I will miss her a lot but it will give me a chance to catch up on some things. The bright sides I am looking at is I can eat all the things she doesn't much care for but I enjoy, watch some of the tv that she doesn't like that I enjoy and make a mess out of the house. I will also likely take the opportunity to buy some things I think I need that she doesn't. Still I will miss her a lot.

When she comes back she plans to cut her studies back and work in my businss for a year. If there was ever a time that my marriage might face some challenges it will be in that year. I have a feeling it may be a very long year.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 05 May 2011 12:47 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Turbo

your case is very similar to Markje ....... and for sure you will miss her but at the same time you will have plenty of free time to do what you like doing.... but she doesn't like, so a good compromise for both of you and in some ways..... a good injection of fresh life and a good test of your feelings and your relationship!

But in Mark's case there is...... something more!

His name is Daniel (sorry for the bad spelling Mark)
PS I know Mark and Lena will talk on MSN but it is not the same!

IS it?

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 05 May 2011 13:57 
Expert Member

wicheese wrote:
Mark,

Having sat behind a lady with a young child on the jump across the pond (proving that it can be done), I would have voted for the saved Euros and spent the 4 extra hours. Then again, I have been in the vicinity of crying babies and know that's more the norm.
Cheesy

Scrap that, I see that the layover option is now totally gone. It will be a sleepover this year if you fly Wizz!Air. Meaning the extra cost of spending the night in kiev. (20 euro minimum, 70 euro comfertable or 110 euro luxury).

Mark

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 05 May 2011 14:02 
Expert Member

wiz wrote:
His name is Daniel (sorry for the bad spelling Mark)

Daniël !!!! [angry2.gif]

[wink.gif]

Yes, I will miss them both terribly. Especially since my son is starting to explore the world on his own and most of the first-time language-development (first words, etc.) will be while he is in Ukraine. He already goes mmaaaaaamamamamamama when he wants mama's attention! So cute...

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 05 May 2011 14:24 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Sorry but my Keyboard doesn't have........ ë [embarrased.gif]

Any how I was not far..... Daniël !!!! [angry2.gif]

Baba,,,,,,,, (father) [tonque.gif]

[veryhappy.gif]

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 05 May 2011 15:41 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
I don’t know Turbo & Markjie and I don’t know their wives either so I write this from just my own opinion and how I would feel (I know me quite well).

If a wife (or girlfriend) of mine told me that she was planning to spend 8/9 weeks away from me then I would be suggesting she moves home permanently.

Sorry chaps but in my view something just isn’t right, especially in Markje’s case where a young child is involved. [sad.gif]

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 05 May 2011 17:58 
Expert Member

Vinnvinny wrote:
I don’t know Turbo & Markjie and I don’t know their wives either so I write this from just my own opinion and how I would feel (I know me quite well).

If a wife (or girlfriend) of mine told me that she was planning to spend 8/9 weeks away from me then I would be suggesting she moves home permanently.

Sorry chaps but in my view something just isn’t right, especially in Markje’s case where a young child is involved. [sad.gif]

Don't worry vinny, all is well in my family :-) I hope she doesn't want to do this every year, but this year she really needs it.

Homesickness is a big issue. I asked around with other RU/Dutch couples and more than 75% is visiting home 6+ weeks. (with or without husband).

Lena would prefer I go with her the whole time, I just can't get more than 2 weeks off in the busy time.

Mark.

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 05 May 2011 19:09 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Markje wrote:
Vinnvinny wrote:

Don't worry vinny, all is well in my family :-) I hope she doesn't want to do this every year, but this year she really needs it.

Homesickness is a big issue. I asked around with other RU/Dutch couples and more than 75% is visiting home 6+ weeks. (with or without husband).

Lena would prefer I go with her the whole time, I just can't get more than 2 weeks off in the busy time.

Mark.

I understand Mark. I have reached an age where I am sceptical about everything but at the same time understand that just because I see something one way doesn't mean I am correct and others may look at it completely differently. [happy.gif]

Besides, wiz asked me to write that to stir things up*. Maybe TG will take the bait. [drink-coffee.gif]

* This may not be true as apparently I am the worlds biggest bullsh*tter. [hi.gif]