All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Where can the "Post Marriage Support" topic be found?
Post Number:#21  PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016 19:36 

Her/His Country: Russia
Thanks for all the information everyone. I am working through the issues and questions. I think I will take a crack at the forms and see how well that goes. It would be just fine with me to not have to pay an additional $1-2K additional to use an immigration attorney when in the end it doesn't buy me anything of value other than the time it would take for me to complete the forms myself.

I wonder if applications submitted by a law firm have any higher or faster approval rates than those done by individuals, less those applications with errors in documentation.

Post Number:#22  PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016 11:03 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
They don't give any priority or preferential treatment to forms filed by an immigration attorney.

On average using a lawyer will take longer, have a greater chance of getting held up for an RFE (request for evidence ie supporting info) and of course cost several thousand dollars more.

The forms are pretty simple. There is a lot of help on the official government site, There are step by step tutorials, sample forms, form downloads and individual support available on VisaJourney.

Some attorneys will really slow things down. I can recall the first time I looked at this one other forum member applied the same day I did. This was actually his second attempt since the first attorney he had used did nothing at all after 3-4 months.

Here is why doing it yourself is faster. Doing it yourself you download the forms and fill them out. Using an attorney he sends you a questionare which you fill out then his assistant enters the data in the form, prints it out and sends it to you for a signature. Then you send it back to him and it sits there until he gets a chance to send it in. You have already gained a few weeks.

Now if there is a problem and you have done it yourself they contact you. Using a lawyer they mail him, he mails you, you mail him, he mails them.

Most of the work the attorney does is done by his new flunkie who isn't as careful as you would be doing it yourself. The odds of an RFE are higher with a lawyer,.

Post Number:#23  PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016 14:38 

TURBOGUY You tell a very compelling story about why to NOT use an immigration attorney. I think based on your advice and my own self confidence I will just educate myself via the online resources available to me for free and do it myself. I do still plan on documenting the process in the form of a FAQ for this site to help others.

Post Number:#24  PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016 01:58 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I am sure Wiz will be very happy to have that FAQ and it will help a lot of people. I am glad you are going to make the effort to do that.

When I was doing my first K-1, like many I planned to use a lawyer because I thought it might go faster and be more trouble free. I still wanted to know all I could about the process and the more I talked and listened to others the more convinced I was that not using a lawyer was the way to go.