All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where can the "Post Marriage Support" topic be found?
Post Number:#21  PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016 19:36 

Her/His Country: Russia
Thanks for all the information everyone. I am working through the issues and questions. I think I will take a crack at the forms and see how well that goes. It would be just fine with me to not have to pay an additional $1-2K additional to use an immigration attorney when in the end it doesn't buy me anything of value other than the time it would take for me to complete the forms myself.

I wonder if applications submitted by a law firm have any higher or faster approval rates than those done by individuals, less those applications with errors in documentation.

Post Number:#22  PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016 11:03 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
They don't give any priority or preferential treatment to forms filed by an immigration attorney.

On average using a lawyer will take longer, have a greater chance of getting held up for an RFE (request for evidence ie supporting info) and of course cost several thousand dollars more.

The forms are pretty simple. There is a lot of help on the official government site, There are step by step tutorials, sample forms, form downloads and individual support available on VisaJourney.

Some attorneys will really slow things down. I can recall the first time I looked at this one other forum member applied the same day I did. This was actually his second attempt since the first attorney he had used did nothing at all after 3-4 months.

Here is why doing it yourself is faster. Doing it yourself you download the forms and fill them out. Using an attorney he sends you a questionare which you fill out then his assistant enters the data in the form, prints it out and sends it to you for a signature. Then you send it back to him and it sits there until he gets a chance to send it in. You have already gained a few weeks.

Now if there is a problem and you have done it yourself they contact you. Using a lawyer they mail him, he mails you, you mail him, he mails them.

Most of the work the attorney does is done by his new flunkie who isn't as careful as you would be doing it yourself. The odds of an RFE are higher with a lawyer,.

Post Number:#23  PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016 14:38 

TURBOGUY You tell a very compelling story about why to NOT use an immigration attorney. I think based on your advice and my own self confidence I will just educate myself via the online resources available to me for free and do it myself. I do still plan on documenting the process in the form of a FAQ for this site to help others.

Post Number:#24  PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016 01:58 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I am sure Wiz will be very happy to have that FAQ and it will help a lot of people. I am glad you are going to make the effort to do that.

When I was doing my first K-1, like many I planned to use a lawyer because I thought it might go faster and be more trouble free. I still wanted to know all I could about the process and the more I talked and listened to others the more convinced I was that not using a lawyer was the way to go.

Post Number:#25  PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017 15:28 

UPDATE: 15 August, 2017

Well my friends and trusted advisors, I am very happy to report that Olga and I are now married. We got married in Norcross Georgia on July 18th. A simple civil service at the magistrate's court however...Olga went all out to be beautiful and we made quite a day of it including a post nuptial walk in the park for pictures and a huge very romantic dinner with prime rib and filet mignon and soda. The owner of the restaurant even honored us with a free desert, a mountain of hot fudge cake and vanilla bean ice cream.

Just to try to be brief, the last year we have been just talking online using Skype and email, it had been 15 months since I was last in Moscow or she here in the US. We had been engaged almost two years. I guess you could say that we took it slow but kept talking about life together, children, house...all the dreams that were possible and eventually she started to ask about her citizenship, being married, and how much longer we would wait?

It took me almost a year or more to get up enough cash to bring her back to the US because of (a lot of other priorities and unexpected expenses) but she was here for 5 weeks and just went back to Moscow August 11. We did a honeymoon in Orlando Florida at a beautiful resort (Sheraton Vistana Villages Resort Villas), took in the Disney experience at Animal Kingdom (amazing place!) a river boat cruise in Savannah Ga, and picnics in both Jacksonville City Beaches as well as Tybee Island. She had not been to the beach in about 20 years and it was incredible to see her play in the surf for the first time, relive old memories and soaking up the Sun.

So the honeymoon trips were great, and back in Atlanta we did everything that we could find time for. We climbed Stone Mountain twice, she loves nature and a good hike, we walked old town squares and went shopping for souvenirs for friends and family, and went bargain hunting for a few select items of clothing...this girls knows how to pinch a rubble/penny too, if it's not at least 70% off she scoffs!

She baked me an incredible birthday cake, made blueberry and nectarine tarts, a chocolate cake and several other wonderful baked delights and I cooked her several traditional meals including a roast pork tenderloin, blueberry pancakes, and good ole sausage, eggs and cheese grits! What are 'grits' you ask, well come to the South and find out! ...or Google it, LOL!

The rest of my time now is going to be focused on the documentation requirements to bring a 'spouse' from Russia to the US for the purpose of immigration and to be a citizen. Our long term plan is that the next time I go to Moscow will be to pack back to the US as much of her precious personal things as possible and if the immigration process is complete, bring her back with me as well.

Any sage and current advice on how to bring your spouse to the US would be appreciated. I have gathered that using an attorney can just slow things down, so Ill do all the documentation. It also requires something in the neighborhood of $600 to make the application, that is an expensive neighborhood. And, I am reading everything I can online on the government and state department sites to educate myself on the differences in spouse and finance' processes.

Here are some pics...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Number:#26  PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017 15:35 

A few more pics from the honeymoon and other events...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Number:#27  PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017 15:39 

The birthday cake with home made meringue cookies atop.

Post Number:#28  PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017 20:21 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: UK
RW_here_since: 2008
Times_to_FSU: I was born there!
Hi Steven

Congratulations to you and to your beautiful wife Olga. [cheer.gif]

I wish you happiness and prosperity to your new family.
I hope everything to go easy for you and your wife can join you soon.

Wiz will be very happy to hear your news, when he is back home later.

All the very best.

Hanna

[bravo1.gif]

Post Number:#29  PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017 21:04 

Thank you "Hanna". Celebration is indeed the theme for the day now. [cheer.gif]

Post Number:#30  PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017 08:26 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Hello and congratulations for your wedding to both of you!

Sorry for the delay but I was out and about yesterday and when I came back home.... too tired to reply. Any how Hanna told me the news.

To be honest Steven, after all these years and having Hanna acquired teh British Nationality and Passport..... I have not paid much attention to the rules of immigration to USA.

I have not heard from Turbo for long time......and as usual all of us, after getting married pay more attention to our personal lives. I hope Turbo got the alert message and hopefully he will be back to give you his advice. On the other hand you have been doing well your self, as the results show......you are a lucky man.

Personally I prefer this photo:

Attachment:
a smaller-DSC03388a.jpg

[good_news.gif] [bravo1.gif] and that for Olga [flowers.gif]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next