All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Where can the "Post Marriage Support" topic be found?
Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016 22:19 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Hi Steven and nice to hear from you again.

Looks the American’s are busy with your elections or gone on holiday, so I will try to reply to your questions.

I guess that you are bringing your fiancé on a “Fiancé Visa” and you will have 90 days to marry her before her visa expires and she will have to go back.

I would have thought that it would have been easier to have a civil marriage in Russia and then apply for her a “spouse visa”, which I did with no problems.

When I married my Ex English wife in Greece, in a Greek Orthodox Church, in my home town, in 1971, Greece did not have civil marriages, as now have, so I was told by the priest that she has to be baptised. Well I told the priest to call and speak to my local priest, in Corfu where I was working as he knew the rules better than him. He did and problem was solved. My local priest in Corfu was doing marriages, nearly every Sunday, as it was the fashion or the local boys to marry foreign girls who came to Corfu for holidays, and I was one of them and he knew the rules better than anybody else.

I do not know the rules in the USA so better follow his advice.

As about her extra personal belongings, I agree it will be better to take them, in an extra suitcase on the same plane coming to USA, even if it cost more and will save you hassle.

Good luck, anyway,to both of you.

[thumbs.gif] [clap.gif]

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 07 Aug 2016 20:54 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
The fiancee visa is probably the better choice. It would most likely be quicker. In the last two years Photoguy who Wiz may remember applied for a fiancee visa for his (now wife) and it took about 5-6 months. About the same time my Son married a gal who was from the Philippines in the Philippines and applied for a marriage visa and it took him a year and a half. By the way they just had a baby two weeks ago so I am a grandfather again after a nearly 2 decade lapse. (That is grandchild # 4)

As far as bringing stuff here you will find there is no cheap way to do it. Airlines charge a lot for overweight baggage and shipping it isn't going to be cheap. The best choice would be to be patient and have her family keep the stuff for a while and whenever she goes back for a visit she could bring a little more each time. You will find they like to go back for a visit. If I had a better idea of how much stuff and how big it is I might be able to answer better. We do a lot of shipping internationally in my business and it is not cheap.

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 07 Aug 2016 22:29 

THANKS MEMBERS for all the advice on both the shipping and the visa options. I'm not sure why but my fiancé is very concerned about applying for a fiancé and being denied and it taking a very long time, like over a year. At this point I'm not sure who actually issues such a Visa. Is it the American consulate in Moscow perhaps? She already has a three year work AND tourist visa that expires late next year. She has been here twice now.

I have read that some people, after dating for a reasonable period of time have their bride to be enter the country (US we are talking about here) on a tourist visa, and they can remain for up to 6 months as long as the Visa doesn't expire during that period. Then, the idea is to get married in a legal civil service and immediately apply for a 'change of status' with the US immigrations office which is pretty quick application process, like just a few months. And she can remain in the US till the status is approved even if her visa expires. It's allegedly a short cut to becoming a US citizen by virtue of marriage. I have been looking into this quite a bit and wonder if anyone has heard of, tried or knows someone that did or could comment....

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016 07:44 
Banned

Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
Sea Frieght is always the cheapest. You need to send it unconsolidated and it will arrive as part of a container that had spare space.

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016 17:23 
Veteran Member

Fiancee visas have a very high rate of success. I would say that it would be close to 98% when all is said and done with the bulk of the other 2% being cases where there was fraud. Perhaps 5 % or so may have to jump through a hoop or two but both Marriage and Fiancee visas are nearly a sure thing.

Where you apply depends on where you live. You don't apply at the embassy in Moscow. Basically the procedure goes like this.

1. Apply to your regional center. You need a couple of forms, proof of meeting (photos, airline boarding passes, hotel receipts, phone records, letters and other correspondence, a letter from each stating the intent to marry, proof of the financial ability to support her.

2. Shortly after mailing the required paperwork you will receive what is called an NOA 1. (Notice of action 1) which means they received it.

3. After it is processes you will get the NOA2 which means the processing is complete and it is being forwarded to the NVC (National Visa Center). They process it there and assign an A number (tracking number) and you get another notice which will say it is being sent to the Moscow Embassy.

4. Your fiancee will get a packet that she needs to fill out for the interview at the embassy. She will need to get a physical at an approved clinic prior to the appointment.

5. They will notify you when your appointment is and also post it online. Now you can attend if you wish but it isn't required and when I did it you were not allowed to attend.

6. After the interview she will receive her passport back with the visa attached inside. She has 6 months to enter the USA.

7. You have 90 days to marry or she must go back.

If you marry then you apply for a 2 year green card and 90 days before that expires you can apply for a 10 year green card.

After 3 years of permanent residency if married or 5 years if not she can apply for citizenship.

It isn't supposed to be done this way but some have entered on a tourist visa, married and applied for a change of status and were able to say here.

There are two places for more information.

One that I highly recommend is at www.VisaJourney.com Great site and helpful, knowledgeable people.

The other is the governments site which is at https://www.uscis.gov/

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016 00:34 

Her/His Country: Moldova
RW_here_since: 2008
Times_to_FSU: lost count
We shipped unbreakable things via boat. It took longer but it was much cheaper.

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016 01:41 

One of the things that seems to be a problem is when she has to submit her Visa for processing of the Fiance' visa. She obviously needs her Visa to enter the USA even as a tourist to visit with me and she also needs it as a form of ID in Moscow and to conduct real estate transactions so she can not afford to surrender this document for any length of time really.

The more and more I research this it seems that the short cut that is absolutely legal is to have her arrive on her tourist visa, get married in a civil service and then do an 'adjustment of status' form.

I am also discovering that along with the forms, there is a hefty fee that has to be submitted as well, all the forms total almost $2,000 US and if you have an attorney involved well there goes another several thousand dollars. I am looking intot he cost of that and will post back the process and the current costs. That information if typed up well might make a good site FAQ/How-to.

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016 16:47 

Her/His Country: Moldova
RW_here_since: 2008
Times_to_FSU: lost count
It's actually quite simple to do the forms yourself. Just follow the instructions that are given and you shouldn't have any problems.

I did all the paperwork myself, never used a lawyer, for the immigration of my wife and stepson.

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016 19:39 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
cosworth1890 wrote:
One of the things that seems to be a problem is when she has to submit her Visa for processing of the Fiance' visa. She obviously needs her Visa to enter the USA even as a tourist to visit with me and she also needs it as a form of ID in Moscow and to conduct real estate transactions so she can not afford to surrender this document for any length of time really.

The more and more I research this it seems that the short cut that is absolutely legal is to have her arrive on her tourist visa, get married in a civil service and then do an 'adjustment of status' form.

I am also discovering that along with the forms, there is a hefty fee that has to be submitted as well, all the forms total almost $2,000 US and if you have an attorney involved well there goes another several thousand dollars. I am looking intot he cost of that and will post back the process and the current costs. That information if typed up well might make a good site FAQ/How-to.

I am sure your friend and future... wife must have an International Russian passport where she has the tourist visa but while in Russia she does not need this passport to prove her ID and continue in business, as she has the Internal Russian passport for that!

If I understand correctly the US embassy has to approve her Fiance Visa and if her tourist visa is still valid ... it would be changed to a Fiance visa.

Of course I am not an American neither have dealt with the US Embassy ever, as I have a British passport, but some knowledgeable friend from the US can put me comments right, I hope.

Any how Turbo has given you some very useful links like www.VisaJourney.com the expert.

Good luck [happy.gif]

Post Number:#20  PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016 19:49 
Veteran Member

If you go the fiancee visa route she doesn't have to furnish her passport until the interview and the turn around time is usually less than a week. I would agree with Wiz that the business can be conducted with her internal Russian passport and that she doesn't need the International one. Actually I don't think she is allowed to use the international one for internal business it has to be the internal one.

You are right that she can come in on her tourist visa, marry and apply for a change of status. It is not the way they want it done but many have done that successfully. You can find out more about that on VisaJourney. Which reminds me that I have not visited their forum for quite some time and should stop in there and see what is going on.