All times are UTC

Post subject: Greek cooking from Corfu Island
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011 17:03 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Greek cooking from Corfu Island

Today I came across these two videos from a famous English Cook, Rick Stein, when he visited the Greek island of Corfu and tasted some Greek family cooking. A very famous English writer, Laurence Darrell, lived in the island and wrote a book "My family and other animals", which made Corfu very well known internationally, long before the package holidays started.

I have lived and worked for over 12 years on the island of Corfu, before moving to the UK, where I met my ex English wife and started my family and over the years I have enjoyed traditional local dishes and the special atmosphere of this beautiful island.

Watching these videos memories started tumbling down and as it happens I did recognise some of the people on the film.........

My wife Hanna and I, eat Greek food that I cook, which is very healthy, mixed with Russian food too that she always likes to cook, so we have the best of both worlds.
Before anybody starts sneering that I don't know how to cook... take a look at my cookery book! [veryhappy.gif]

Later in the early summer I am planning to take her there for a week to show her around, where I used to live and work...... but for now she can only watch these videos and start dreaming of her holiday there.

I think it would be better if I let you enjoy the two videos and later if I come across more videos I will add them on this thread.

Post subject: Re: Greek cooking from Corfu Island
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011 17:29 
Admin

Greek Cooking

Spanakopita (spinach and feta cheese pie)

Saganaki

Melitzanosalata

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 15:42 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
Greek and Russian cooking should mix very well.
Both enjoy simple and natural ingredients, and healthy portions (unlike French cooking which seems to be intended for babies).

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 19:15 
Admin

Shadow wrote:
Greek and Russian cooking should mix very well.
Both enjoy simple and natural ingredients, and healthy portions (unlike French cooking which seems to be intended for babies).
French cooking is good but too much special made sauces to cover the bad meat....... and like you I prefer the simple and natural ingredients and my home cooking is following this tradition, taught to me by my mother. Also I don't care about this nouveau cuisine where more emphasis is on presentation but I am more interesting cooking good taste food! That is what my cookery book is all about! NOTE: I am not trying to sell my book here....have run out of copies and only have less than 10 from a 3000 run, posting the cover just for decoration. [happy.gif] Any objections and will be taken out.

I am also of the same opinion, like you, regarding the mix or Greek and Russian food..... and Mrs wiz is very good cook! I have suggested to her to write down good number of Russian recipes that she cooks for us and mix them up with some of my home cooking Greek recipes and make it to a book but.....she is not game for it!

I am not a talented cook but she is and if we could concentrated on providing a varied menu of East European and Mediterranean foods, I think it would appeal to many people who have visited Greece or Russia and now looking for an interesting lunch to cook and eat..... but sofar she is refusing to take part!

Oh well, wiz is not the shy type of person that she is, so I have applied to take part in a cooking competition here locally......... and maybe, if I have any success and winn a prize, who knows she may change her mind!

Here is my Main course recipe that I applied to cook:

SOFRITO from Corfu
Stewed Steak

Ingredients

2½ lbs. (1¼ kg) loin or sirloin Veal chops, cut into ½ inch slices
½ cup Olive Oil
2-3 cloves Garlic, crushed
¼ cup Vinegar
Parsley,
Seasoned flour (Salt & black pepper)

1½ cup hot water

Cooking:

1. Flour the Meat. Heat Oil in a saucepan and fry chops.
  2. Add Garlic, Vinegar, Water and Parsley.
  3. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until Meat is tender and sauce is thick.

Serve with mashed Potatoes.

[veryhappy.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011 23:10 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
wiz wrote:
Today I came across these two videos from a famous English Cook, Rick Stein, when he visited the Greek island of Corfu and tasted some Greek family cooking.

A couple of years back (about 10 to be honest) I met Rick Stein at one of his Padstow restaurants. I don't eat fish with their heads still on so daring as I am I had traditional fish & chips. About £8 and it was tasteless.

Next day I played golf and who should be walking across my fairway but Robert Kilroy-Silk (he was popular then).

.... I don't do things by half's you know. [hi.gif]

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 21:02 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
Vinnvinny wrote:
wiz wrote:
Today I came across these two videos from a famous English Cook, Rick Stein, when he visited the Greek island of Corfu and tasted some Greek family cooking.

A couple of years back (about 10 to be honest) I met Rick Stein at one of his Padstow restaurants. I don't eat fish with their heads still on so daring as I am I had traditional fish & chips. About £8 and it was tasteless.

Next day I played golf and who should be walking across my fairway but Robert Kilroy-Silk (he was popular then).

.... I don't do things by half's you know. [hi.gif]

So when eating at a famous cook's restaurants you order fish and chips ?
Just understand that no clean shiny kitchen will be able to reproduce the taste of over-used frying oil and old newspapers. [rolf.gif]

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011 21:28 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Shadow wrote:
So when eating at a famous cook's restaurants you order fish and chips ?

..... and peas. [thumbs.gif]

Why not? If he thought is was beneath him he shouldn't have put it on his menu. Besides, for me there was very little choice as it was a fish restaurant, and a bit of battered cod or some tuna out of a tin is as far as I go with fish. [bad.gif]

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 15 Mar 2011 00:14 
Admin

An update..... I won 3rd place and £50

Quote:
Oh well, wiz is not the shy type of person that she is, so I have applied to take part in a cooking competition here locally......... and maybe, if I have any success and winn a prize, who knows she may change her mind!

[glad.gif]