All times are UTC

Post subject: Sochi Hotel Room Horrors
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014 02:32 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
Check out some of the things people are finding when they arrive at Sochi for the Olympics.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/themargin/ ... es-emerge/

Post subject: Re: Sochi Hotel Room Horrors
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014 05:05 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Turbo

Nothing more than propaganda, an organised operation to ridicule Putin....
like every other nation that has organised Olympics in the past, never had problems
any problems and everything were perfect! [boredom.gif]

Here in the UK we have seen a program of 2 reporters driving in Russia and showing
all the bad roads and other things ....... [wink.gif]

Now the Gay loby is having a go at Russia about the latest Antigay law....... [sick.gif]

Well what I have to say is ......

If they don't like the laws, culture or the picture they are getting from the Honest Western Mass Media, about Russia,
they have a choice....... don't bother going! [sick.gif]

You, me and all the other's who have visited Russia and travelled around and seen the reality and met the Russian people, married a RW, we are more rich ... in our life experiences! [biggrin.gif]

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014 21:53 
Veteran Member

From what I understand the official total is that 3% of the hotel rooms are not finished which doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I am sure some just look for something to fill their articles with and when the Olympics haven't started they need some kind of news.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014 13:34 
Veteran Member

Continuing on with the problems in Sochi here is a slide show that I found quite entertaining.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/best-of- ... slideshow/

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014 00:33 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Turbo

In my business life, I was working in the holiday sector and part of my remit was to visit our accommodation, (hotels and apartments) to check quality and a lot of other things.

With that in mind, I have visited Florida about 10 times, Los Angeles, New York, Toronto and nearly most of the European countries, including Ukraine and Russia. To be honest it will take me long time to count the times I have visited a country but definitely I remember Florida very well. I used to fly to Orlando and then drive down to Fort Lauderdale, Miami and then all the west coast going up to Tampa and flying back home from Orlando.

It is my experience that even in very developed countries, like USA I have visited hotels which had many problems and were not to our standards or to the standards they had a Licence for.

When I first visited Ukraine the accommodation standards were very poor and those which were of good standard they were calling them... of "European Standard". Obviously I was very selective when choosing apartments for my business and the quality was quite good.
As time has gone on, I have noticed many improvements and I think you can find many good quality hotels.

As about the latest propaganda against Putin's Olympics is nothing more than the usual games between the USA and Russia.

I have watched the games and I like what I have seen sofar. No I am not a friend of Vladimir....... but Sochi looks very nice to me!

[drinks.gif]

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014 20:36 
Veteran Member

Wiz, from what I understand there were problems with about 3% of the hotel rooms which wasn't a lot. I too have traveled a lot. I was in Orlando last week and will be in Texas next week. I have had my share of hotel room problems so it is not something isolated to Sochi.

One of the funny ones was staying at the Holiday Inn in Downtown Atlanta long ago. Despite the fact that it was warm the air conditioner was pouring out hot air. To try to survive in the room I left the door of my room open leading to the hallway to try and let all that heat out. About every 5 minutes a hooker would come in and proposition me. Finally I asked one why I was getting hookers every 5 minutes and she said the signal was to leave your door open. I shut it and dealt with the heat.

I can recall pulling into a two story motel very late at night in Rutland VT. I was given an upstairs room. When I started to climb the stairs to the room I discovered the stairs were ready to collapse. I stepped on the outer edges of stairs to minimize the chances of them giving way, got to my room and it was freezing. I turned the heater on and it didn't work. I took all the clothes out of my suitcase and pilled them on top of me to keep from freezing. In the morning I went to the bathroom, turned on my hair dryer and shut the door for a half hour or so to be able to take a shower.

One time in Syracuse I checked into a motel and the clerk reminded me of a pervert from a peep show. I got to my room and the bathroom floor looked like it had just had the dirt swept towards the wall. There were two pubic hairs in the drinking glass and it was the filthiest room I was ever in. I slept in my clothes. As I was pulling out in the morning I saw the maids cart and wondered what kind of maid could do such a terrible job. Just then the "maid" walked out of the room and it was the pervert looking guy that checked me in.

So, yes, room problems happen anywhere. Also yes, I do sometimes stay in some fleabag hotels, and some nice ones to.