All times are UTC

Post subject: Winter photos from Northern Russia
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009 22:27 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Having visited to Russia during the winter a few times I always enjoyed going out in the snow taking photos from this beautiful country.

Today I came across of some very beautiful winter photos from a few Northern cities and places and I hope you will enjoy looking at them too!

Rostov Veliky

Rostov - is a town in the Yaroslavl region (Russia), North of Moscow. The city is located on the shores of Lake Nero, 53 km from Yaroslavl, and 202 km from Moscow, on the route M8 «Kholmogory» Moscow - Arkhangelsk.

Rostov - is one of the oldest cities in Russia and it is part of the Golden Ring. Rostov is often called Rostov the Great, to distinguish it from Rostov-na-Donu.

Vologda

Vologda (Russian: Во́логда) is a city in Russia and the administrative center of Vologda Oblast. Population: 293,700 (2008 est.). Vologda takes its name, of likely Finno-Ugrian origin, from the Vologda River which flows through the city.

Vologda was first mentioned in Novgorod chronicles for 1147, when Saint Gerasim found a church and village already standing there. Surrounded by impassable woods, the settlement was inhabited by Novgorodians who pulled the ships from a tributary of the Volga to a tributary of the Northern Dvina, thus making possible navigation from the White Sea to the Caspian. In 1273 the city was ravaged by a Mongol raid.

It was not until 1412, when the area was ceded by Novgorod Republic to Muscovy, that the town acquired any measure of importance. The princes of Muscovy made Vologda their outpost in the North. By the end of the century, Vologda eclipsed the ancient centre of that region, Belozersk. Its commercial importance further increased when the Muscovy Company started its operations in Russia.

Post subject: Re: Winter photos from Northern Russia
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009 23:17 
Admin

Great Ustyug

Great Ustyug - Located 450 km north-east of Vologda, on the left bank of the river Sukhona. Each year during the winter months, many tourist trains arrive on the routes «Vologda - Great Ustyug», «Moscow - Great Ustyug», «Saint-Petersburg - Great Ustyug», etc. These trips are organised for tourists wishing to visit the home of All-Russian Santa Claus (Ded Moroz).

Ded Moroz house

Totma

Totma (Russian: То́тьма) is a town in Vologda Oblast, Russia. It is located on Sukhona River which flows through the city.

Ferapontovo Monastery

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 07:54 

Her/His Country: UK
Times_to_FSU: Many times
Excelent photos :bravo:

Russia is a very beautiful country indeed!

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015 14:47 

Her/His Country: England
RW_here_since: 1963
Times_to_FSU: 15
Hi Wiz,
I hope that you get this.
Only just come across your photos. We are a small charity working with children and young people in eastern Europe (www.childaidrr.org.uk).
I would really like to use one of the photos you posted way back in 2009 as a greeting card image for us to sell in packs to our supporters - they would love the image.
Would obviously give accreditation and if you want any links then happy to include as well.

Would that be possible and if so would you have higher resolution images?

Many Thanks

ChildAid to Russia and the Republics

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015 14:03 
Admin

Hi Martin

and welcome to the board.

Obviously I am not aware which photo you are asking so please sent me a copy on my direct email and I will search my PC to find the high resolution picture you are asking and send it to you, with my permission, if it is one of mine, like the one below.

Meanwhile if you wish to create a page for your charity on the board.... you are welcome.

Use please the forum..... Culture, Food, Drink, Music and Other stuff ...and I will help you to present it well...... you never know what might happen. Maybe some people can help the charity.

Best regards
Yannis

wiz@ukme.com