All times are UTC

Post subject: Interested in a Russian girl I met...
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013 11:11 

Her/His Country: US
So I've always been interested in learning different languages, one of which is Russian. I made a profile on a site which allows you to contact people in other countries and such. Most of the searches I did on this site I looked for people in other countries where they speak their native tongue. Out of curiosity one day, I searched to see who was in cities nearby. I found a pretty Russian girl a few years older than me living in DC (I live in Baltimore so it's like an hour away) and I contacted her. When I first contacted her she wanted to try to talk to me on the phone to practice her English so we did. It was a very simple conversation no more than 5 minutes long. After that there were two or three occasions in which I message her via Facebook to try to meet up with her but we couldn't work the times out. Just this past Sunday though I finally met her and enjoyed the time I spent with her very much. We just sat and talked for a few hours. I really felt that we clicked a bit but at the same time I got this feeling that I am sort of "friendzoned" because I am her source to learning/improving her English. So anyway, I'm wondering what kind of things I could do in the future to show that I am interested in her? How long should I wait? How many meetings? She told me that she doesn't like the way Americans date and prefers how Russians do it, with the man bringing flowers/chocolates, holding doors, carrying bags/coats, etc. I love this idea and I've always felt that's how things should be. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Interested in a Russian girl I met...
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014 14:39 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Hello

[welcome1.gif] to the board and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I am not American so I don't know how American men behave when dating and of course with such little information about her..... it's difficult to offer any good advice.

The girl told you a few things of what she expects.... and if you look around on the board.... you may find some more useful Information.

Best of luck and if you like her don't give up easily!

Wiz

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014 16:56 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
wiz wrote:
I don't know how American men behave when dating

Wiz

American men behave great when we date. We actually put on a clean tee shirt, pull up in front of the ladies house in our pickup truck, honk the horn and wait patiently for her to come out. We then take her for a nice romantic dinner at McDonalds and collect from her what her share of the bill is. From there we may go to the bowling alley where we get a pitcher of beer and hoot and holler a bit as she throws gutter balls. Of course we grab her butt a bit when the opportunity presents itself. After that we take her home and after all the effort we put out for her expect her to take care of our needs since we worked so hard to show her a good time. Of course after a few dates we expect her to cook dinner for us and just rent a 99 cent red box movie, put our feet up on her coffee table and spill beer all over her furniture.

By the way 53 order some nice weather for Baltimore. That is where I am heading next week and it is cold as a witches ??? here in Pittsburgh.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014 19:34 

Her/His Country: US
Unfortunately this is pretty accurate for a lot of American guys. I have never been like this though and believe in the more traditional ways and chivalry and such. Perhaps that's why I've never had a girl friend, as American girls seem to enjoy the way they are treated. That's sort of my problem here, as it seems Russian women expect something much different, but what they expect has labeled me as "creepy" or "clingy" before. Things like paying for her meal or walking her to her door and such is a bit of a red flag it seems, so I'm not sure how far to take things, if that makes sense. I'm not sure how to show this girl that I am interested in being more than just friends with her as well, and how long I should wait to reveal this to her. If I wait too long, she will only see me as a friend, if I move too fast she will think it isn't real and/or I am just desperate, so I am trying to figure out what the norm would be in Russia. Also, what would be a good first date idea? I was thinking maybe a walk at the park and lunch/dinner (on me of course) or we could go dancing and enjoy a meal. Really could use any advice cause I'm not sure how to go about this.

Concerning the weather, we just had a rather large snowstorm (for Baltimore at least), around 5 inches or so. And the temperate is around 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Next week appears to be colder.

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014 21:59 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
All Russian women expect the man to be a real man... and that means to take care of all her needs.

You are expected to pay all the bills and buy her flowers..... and small presents.

Remember the 8 March... women's day.... and god fobit if you forget to buy flowers and chocolets for her. She will never let you forget it! [sad.gif]

BTW when you buy flowers make sure it's always an odd number..... [wink.gif]

Relax my friend, take her for a walk and a chat in the park, or for a coffee in a nice caffe and then for a romantic meal. Sure she will know soon if she likes you or not and then you are for ...... and Russian women are not shy to let you know!. Make sure you always act as a gentleman and don't expect anything before 3 dates....... maybe a peck on your chik at first and then if you are invited for a coffee at her place or she come to yours...... and she visits the bathroom.... expect to be pleased of what may happen afterwards!

Good luck! [thumbs.gif]

PS: can you upload an avatar please. Thank you!

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014 21:12 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
wiz wrote:
All Russian women expect the man to be a real man...

Do not confuse being a Real man with being an (Asshole/macho/....) or other male stereotypes.

Being a real man in this context amounts to:

* Pay all the bills, and on time
* Be chivalrous, but try to do that without showing off.
* Repair broken stuff without her needing to ask. (Many a man on his way to Russia for 3d vacation to the same girl took part/all of his toolbox with him)
* Take care of her needs , emotional, financial.