All times are UTC

Post subject: can I live in Russia with my then russian wife ?
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014 21:18 

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: never
My Russian girlfriend has suggested that when we marry next year we live in Russia for five years, I have said I will give it some thought, But I am not sure I will be allowed to live there, reason being I have a Criminal Record, It was 30 years ago but I don't suppose that maters, Can anyone tell me if this will stop me from living there with her when we are married.
I have told her about my conviction, but don't want to make a big thing about it. she might think I am using it as an excuse to say no to living in Russia

any help will be much appreciated,

Post subject: Re: can I live in Russia with my then russian wife ?
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2014 19:14 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Many people with criminal record have managed to get a visa and visit Russia but in your case, looking to stay permanently or temporary for long time, is something I can't advise you.

Russia has it's own rules and your friend may find out about it.Most of us, married the woman in Russia and brought her here with a settlement visa.

Sorry but can't remember if you have already visited Russia.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014 13:57 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: 10+
Well you can only try and you must try , first you will need to make contact with the immigration head office of the region you propose to live in , then they will tell you the procedure and documents you need . From the UK you need to get a Police Certificate near the time of you application for a Temporary residents visa , just google :- ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) , its £45 for the certificate , takes about 2 weeks and you will need it translated and notarised and of course many medical checks done in Russia .

Being married will give you chance to jump the immigration quota in Russia , but I'm sure it varies from region to region. I think the fact that your record is from 30 years ago will hopefully not be a big problem . A temporary residents visa is generally for 3 years , but I have also heard about a possible spouse visa which is even mire favourable , without either you cannot work in Russia and will be almost impossible to live there . Being married to a Russian does not give you any more rights to go there !!

I am in the process of trying to get a temporary residents or spouse visa this year , so I hopefully will be wiser in a few months as to the procedure . Good luck

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014 03:40 

Times_to_FSU: never
Sorry I have taken so long to reply, been away on holiday, thanks for the information, am now looking at other places we can live, thanks again for your help