All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Brand Appeal for Russians!
Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011 11:26 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
This thread has the name OlgaMouse written all over it [clap.gif]

Not true for all russian women of course, but the majority do fit the brand-bill.

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011 13:07 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Markje wrote:
This thread has the name OlgaMouse written all over it [clap.gif]

Not true for all russian women of course, but the majority do fit the brand-bill.

Whatever happened to the mouse from Moscow?

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011 16:13 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: more than 10
This is a phenomenon I noticed the first time I went to Moscow. I think it's just another aspect of the superficiality of much that happens in Russia. There is no doubt that Moscow is a city built on the illusion of wealth when in actual fact it's a desperately poor, crumbling dump.

On the face of it, everything in the centre looks impressive but turn any corner into any side street and the true face of Russia stares balefully back at you. Everything is falling apart. But all the Russians I know, including my wife, insist that Russia is an advanced nation and that Moscow is the most beautiful city in the world. Not that most of them have ever seen any other cities in any other countries of course.

The imaginary connection between brand names and quality is so hard-wired into their collective psyche that they will buy any old rubbish as long as it has a "Name". Therefore a Sony TV will always be better than a Toshiba and don't even think about trying to persuade them to buy a pair of jeans that doesn't have Calvin Klein of some such designer epithet writ large across the arse.

My missus still thinks that a counterfeit Chanel bag made in China has to be good quality because it says Chanel on it. When I point out that it's made of cheap plastic and likely to fall apart within hours, she replies that it doesn't matter because at least it's a Chanel bag.

The logic is very definitely unfathomable sometimes. Never mind the quality, look at the name darling!

Maybe it's a throwback to Soviet times when anything was better than nothing and anything that pretended to be a better class of something, even though it was actually a an inferior version of something useful, got you a better table in the restaurant.

A bit like communism really.

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011 16:39 
Expert Member

RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Malcolm wrote:
The imaginary connection between brand names and quality is so hard-wired into their collective psyche that they will buy any old rubbish as long as it has a "Name". Therefore a Sony TV will always be better than a Toshiba.

Malcolm,

I'm living that Sony Brand pain about every three days when the webcam on her Sony stops working for no apparent reason. I always laugh and say that my HP does not have the same problem as we were going to get her an HP, but she insisted on the Sony (despite costing about $100 more) because it had a better brand image in Russia. [angry.gif]

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011 08:17 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
wicheese wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
The imaginary connection between brand names and quality is so hard-wired into their collective psyche that they will buy any old rubbish as long as it has a "Name". Therefore a Sony TV will always be better than a Toshiba.
Malcolm,

I'm living that Sony Brand pain about every three days when the webcam on her Sony stops working for no apparent reason. I always laugh and say that my HP does not have the same problem as we were going to get her an HP, but she insisted on the Sony (despite costing about $100 more) because it had a better brand image in Russia. [angry.gif]

When I was visiting my son for Christmas in Los Angeles, back in 2006 he gave me as a Christmas Present a Logitech web cam,, which at the time cost around $100 and it does have high resolution and produce a good image when I have cam conference with anybody, so I was very happy, still I am with the quality and its reliability.

When I started my relationship with Hanna, not to show that I am cheapskate, [wink.gif] I bought her the same Model in the UK..... and cost me nearly £80, so ever since always have excellent quality of sound and picture and Baboushka has been using the camera on her frequent communication with us and is very happy!

Just before Christmas we bought for Hanna a new fast computer and after awhile I decided I better buy her a camera too, so she can chat with mama, without occupying my computer. Not that I don't enjoy having a chat with my Toshia (MIL) but of course they do chat for hours, when working time permits.... and I get bored listening the monotonous sound of Russian language, so decided to look around and buy her a camera of her own.

As it happens, I received an email from 7dayshop.com on line store...... had a look around and bought her a very cheap camera with a brand name TRUST that never happen to come across before.

Total cost including delivery.... £ 11.97, [surprised.gif] so I bought it, me thinking what do I have to loose, if the quality of this cheap Chinese product is decent for their chat?

Next day camera arrived, installed like a dream, tested to see, the quality of the sound and the 19 inch full screen picture display was excellent. The fact is, the camera around the lense has 6 but not intrusive spot lights (like in a photo studio) a high definition resolution and produces excellent results, so I called my Toshia (MIL) to test it.

Her first expression was that this picture is better than my more expensive camera..... .[crying.gif]

My wife is the same, like all Russian women, wants the best quality brand names....... Channe 5 etc.

Last time we were in Kos, Greece, took my wife to a small shop selling perfumes...... and there we found a larger size plastic bottle, than her usual Channel bottle, (can't remember without going looking) at a fraction of the original product.
Of course the answer was NO when I suggested her to buy one. Never mind, I asked her to use few drops and see what she thinks and if she likes it, later we can always comeback and buy one for her.

Few hours later the smell was still there and she was very happy with the quality, so we went back and bought a couple of bottles for 3rd of the Duty Free price at Gatwick. [biggrin.gif]

Then I told her the secret that the woman producing and selling the perfumes is a University educated Chemist and showed her Diploma framed on the wall.

Guess where I am buying our next Christmas presents for our relatives and family members?

[rolfsmall.gif]

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011 13:16 

wiz wrote:
Guess where I am buying our next Christmas presents for our relatives and family members?

Your local charity shop probably.

[rolfsmall.gif]

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011 17:04 
Admin

Malcolm wrote:
wiz wrote:

[rolfsmall.gif]

You may say that but don't expect me to comment! [lol.gif]

In October we are planning to go back to Kos......... there is a clue for you!

[drinks.gif]

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011 19:48 

wiz wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
wiz wrote:

[rolfsmall.gif]

You may say that but don't expect me to comment! [lol.gif]

In October we are planning to go back to Kos......... there is a clue for you!

[drinks.gif]

I didn't know they had Oxfam shops in Kos. You learn something new everyday.
[lol.gif]

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 27 Mar 2011 18:49 
Admin

Malcolm wrote:
But all the Russians I know, including my wife, insist that Russia is an advanced nation and that Moscow is the most beautiful city in the world. Not that most of them have ever seen any other cities in any other countries of course.

Advance Nation on what may I ask you?

I am sure you will reply that Moscow or Russia has the largest number of billionaires.... but when it come to producing something that other people want to buy, then they fall flat on their face. Of course if they haven't personal experience from travelling anywhere in the west...... you can understand their bliss of their ignorance!

Yesterday my wife asked me to book her a flight to Russia to go and see mama...... and like a good husband I wend round looking to find her the best flight connections and of course the best price. [pcchat.gif]

Finally I visited the site of S7 airlines where I found some very good flight times and also the cheapest price for Ufa, via Domodetovo.

The site is very easy to navigate and quickly I booked her flight and was asked how I want to pay, naturally I clicked by Master card......entered all the details and click submit ........ and instantly I had an automatic reply, please contact our reservations as there is a problem with your card! [surprised.gif]

So I called the reservations in Moscow and finally found a woman who told me she will email me instructions for Authorisation...... which she did.

In the instructions request:

1. Scan copy of both sites of my card but covering the 6 digits of the number and also the security code......
  2. Copy of my wife's Passport with the full details
  3. Letter application authorising them for the transaction.......

and cutting a long story short, I wasted nearly 2 hours making all the preparations and email them..... waiting for a reply but no reply arrived, so after 3 hours since I sent the email, I called back asking what is happening to be told:

"I have already authorised your card....... you can make the booking now!" [surprised.gif]

So I went ahead made the booking, added the same card details and the card was cleared instantly!

My poor wife was amazed and was keeping quiet because my language was not only blue but was raging regarding their security measures to protect my card details. [angry.gif]

Finally Hanna said....... "yes my country is many years behind when it comes to services"........ to which I retorted:

Your country is living on the 17th century and will never progress to the 18th century:

Luckily Hanna still talks to me after my "French language about her country".........

Today she was telling her mother all about it and I undertood that her critisism... was very bad, which made baboushka saying...... kasmmar, kashmar many times. (Oh my God!) [bad.gif]

That is a small example of how advanced country Russia is! [smoke.gif]

On the other hand I guess Donhollio would not need much to convince him to fly on S7 to visit his wife, looking these, as they call them.. commissioners! [lol.gif]

Group of commissioners of S7 Airlines.

[rolfsmall.gif]

Post Number:#20  PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011 22:57 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Brands:
I have never worked out why Adidas is so hip and expensive in Ukraine when here in England it’s a ‘nothing’.

I have told many a lady that in Ukraine I see far more top marquee cars there than I do back home or any other country I have visited and they don’t believe me (I tell them I am 37 too and they don’t believe that either*).

Turbo’s bottom:
I think at times I have ‘ATM’ stamped on my head.

The Mouse:
I communicate with her from time to time (I think she loves me a little although she wont admit it) and last time we ‘spoke’ she was very busy with her promoting and indulgences in other ‘activities’ involving musicians. [embarrased.gif]

* I am also guilty of telling a few ladies that on your birthday you have to go and meet the Queen for a cup of tea and a chitchat and surprising quite a few have believed me. [lol.gif]