All times are UTC

Post subject: Brand Appeal for Russians!
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011 23:22 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Russian Love of the Brand!

Recently Natasha and I went shopping for my birthday present as I will be having one in a few weeks. She wanted to get me a new watch as my old Ironman Timex had seen better days. I was thinking a nice Seiko or Citizen, but as we walked through a mall down in Florida in search of the new Apple Ipad (no success there) she steers me into a watch store and walks me over to the Tag Heuer counter. Not being a watch person or one who pays attention to brands, I just about fell over when I noticed the prices, but she was insistent as she wanted to buy me something nice. Needless, I told her to hold off and let me think about it (yes, I had sticker shock even if I was not paying [surprised.gif] ). Anyways, after checking out the Citizen Eco-Drive watches, I pointed out that they have more features (not to mention I don't need to reset the date for odd/even months) than the Tag, look good, and carry a far smaller price tag. I guess I won the point as we agreed and still was able to get me a really nice watch which I really appreciated and liked.

Anyways, this experience reminded me to another former FSUW girlfriend who once gave me a MountBlanc pen. I thought, nice pen and had not clue how expensive it was until a friend told me on my return to the USA. This is the same lady who wanted to buy me a Mercedes so I could have a decent car to drive, despite the fact I thought my rather new (at the time) Camry was just fine for me. So what should a newbie learn from this experience, its if you have a choice to buy a branded item or non-branded item for similar cost, always go for the branded item as it will probably be much more appreciated even if the non-branded item might have more features.

Post subject: Re: Brand Appeal for Russians!
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011 10:29 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
So let me get this straight. I always want to understand Russian mentality. So if a watch or a purse or shoes, or a pen isn't as nice, isn't as well made, isn't as attractive, doesn't have the quality and features but has a brand name then you go with the brand name.

Humm, that is interesting. I have to wonder if maybe that logic has something to do with why RW consent to marry AM/EM. We do fit the bill. We aren't as handsome, not as young, have to be dumb to go through all this. I will have to take a look at my butt tonight and see if there is a brand stamped there that says "American Man"

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011 22:11 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
cheesy, Turbo.

You have hit the nail right on the head, it is the brand name that is of utmost importance.

I will even go as far to sat that it a Russian (man or woman) does not "flash the right brands then they are considered by Russians to be unworthy of being taken seriously.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011 00:18 
Expert Member

Rasboinik wrote:
cheesy, Turbo.

You have hit the nail right on the head, it is the brand name that is of utmost importance.

I will even go as far to sat that it a Russian (man or woman) does not "flash the right brands then they are considered by Russians to be unworthy of being taken seriously.

Yep, I have this very conversation with Natasha today. She said that when someone walks into the office they are immediate assessed based on what they are wearing. I would also say that Americans and Europeans know their brands (OK, with maybe the exception of me), but Russians seem to dial into them a lot faster...

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011 00:21 
Expert Member

Turboguy wrote:
I will have to take a look at my butt tonight and see if there is a brand stamped there that says "American Man"

Turbo,

Don't do it as you might be have bad dreams latter as we never know what we'll see... [lol.gif]

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011 13:26 
Veteran Member

Well I checked last night and there is no brand on my fanny. Otherwise I would have posted a photo to prove it and grossed everyone out. It's your lucky day everyone.

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011 13:44 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
So you have nothing important to copyright?

[lol.gif]

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011 19:50 
Veteran Member

No, but if the brand was there and I posted the photo I think it would have not taken much convincing to get you to remove the photo. [rambling.gif]

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011 21:29 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Turboguy wrote:
Well I checked last night and there is no brand on my fanny. Otherwise I would have posted a photo to prove it and grossed everyone out. It's your lucky day everyone.

Turbo,
Please be careful with the use of the word "fanny" because in "English" English i.e the English that is spoken in the British Isles the word fanny actually means something quite different
in "English" English the word still means an anatomical part of the human body but in this case it is an anatomical part if the female of the species and on the opposite side of the body from the derrière (which I presume that you mean)

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011 10:54 
Veteran Member

Ah, I am learning new things all the time, and they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Of course my wife figured that out long ago and has taught me lots of new tricks. Beg, fetch, lots more.