All times are UTC

Post subject: Are divorce rates in the USA so much higher than Europe?
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013 09:10 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Are divorce rates in the USA so much higher than Europe?

Yesterday my wife alerted me to the fact that another American well known member, of another board, is divorcing. It appears this particular member had a number of divorces in his life and now he has found another young woman and he is in love, as he states in his profile.

Over the years, I have heard many stories of American men, married to Slavic women and getting divorced after 2-5 years of marriage. On the other hand, I did not hear of many European mixed couples divorcing so often and I start wondering what is really going on.

I'm not completely sure about how it is in the US but I'm originally from Greece and live in the UK for the past 35+ years. From my experience here, nearly all couples do not get married before they've lived together.

I think in the US people get married a lot sooner - I don't know anyone who would have gotten married before they had been together for at least 3-4 years. I feel that the whole attitude towards weddings is different in Northern Europe at least. After many years on these boards, it has become clear that many people in the US expect a proposal after just about a year and are anxious about getting married.

I haven't ever heard any of my UK friends saying how they're waiting for a proposal or to make one. It just feels like wedding isn't that big of a milestone at least in Northern Europe and therefore it's done usually at a later stage than in the US and I do think that the longer the couple has been together, often reflects on whether their marriage will be successful (of course there are exemptions though!).

Personally, I just don't understand how people get married before living together for at least a year - how are you supposed to know the other person otherwise?

Post subject: Re: Are divorce rates in the USA so much higher than Europe?
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 01 May 2013 16:42 

Her/His Country: DK/RU
Times_to_FSU: 8
From my memory I believe the divorce rate in USA is about 70% and in Northern Europe 40-50%. Here in Denmark its Down to 45% due to the Financial crisis.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 01 May 2013 23:41 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
For local marriages I can not give an explanation, might be the throw-away mentality.

As for international marriages there is a difference in procedures that certainly might affect a divorce rate. America uses the system of a K-1 visa where marriage has to take place within 90 days. In most of the EU there is the possibility to live together outside of marriage for a long period of time.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 02 May 2013 10:32 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
I got married for the most important and only reason you should. Cause I Love my wife.

However,

The timetable was also pushed "up" to when I wanted to marry, because my wife became pregnant.

Turns out Dutch law is very strange between father/child if you are not married. It could all be fixed of course, but that would have required 2000 Euro's whereas simply getting married was much cheaper (134 euro).

I will still get married in my own due time (for the church) and then I'm going for the more expensive variant with dress+priest+cake+........

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 05 May 2013 01:59 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
wiz wrote:
Personally, I just don't understand how people get married before living together for at least a year - how are you supposed to know the other person otherwise?

The figure I have always heard for the divorce rate in the USA is 50%. Here the divorce rate for people who lived together before marriage is signifigantly higher than for those who didn't.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 05 May 2013 09:35 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
Turboguy wrote:
The figure I have always heard for the divorce rate in the USA is 50%. Here the divorce rate for people who lived together before marriage is signifigantly higher than for those who didn't.

Before it became common to live together as partners before marriage, it was the same here. The common reason was that one of the partners allowed the other some liberties they expected to change after marriage, where the other expected life to continue as it was.

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 13 May 2013 14:29 

Her/His Country: england
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kevin-che ... 23122.html

Here are some statistics about the divorce rates in the US. Though they have been declining in recent years they are still surprisingly high I think.