All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Criminal record question
Post Number:#41  PostPosted: 27 Aug 2010 13:19 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Vinnvinny wrote:
Rasboinik wrote:
The Short/Long legged variety are of course captured alive and they require sedation.
The Haggis Normalus Scootius is normally shot so they are reasonably dead before they are captured.

Whilst I don't think this forum is really the place we should discuss animal cruelty, I do think that you should be aware that many people will consider your comments to be highly offensive. To suggest that livestock should be sedated and smuggled on board in your hand luggage is quite indefensible IMO. In protest I will not buy any more cans of IRN BRU until further notice.

Post Number:#42  PostPosted: 27 Aug 2010 13:48 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5

A live tiger cub was found drugged and hidden among stuffed-tiger toys in the luggage of a woman at Bangkok's airport, a wildlife smuggling watchdog group reported Thursday.

The Thai woman, whose name was not released, was trying to board a flight to Iran on Sunday when she had trouble checking in her oversized bag, the monitoring network TRAFFIC said in a statement.

Airport staff "suspected something amiss when they scanned the bag and X-ray images showed an item resembling a real cat," the group stated.

Thai officials are investigating whether the two-month-old cub was caught in the wild or bred in captivity, as well as where it came from and the suspect's intended final destination.

Tiger populations throughout Asia "are critically threatened by poaching and trade to meet the international demand for tiger parts, products and, as illustrated in this case, live tigers," said TRAFFIC, some of whose funds come from governments around the world.

Chris Shepherd, TRAFFIC Southeast Asia’s deputy regional director, praised various Thai and U.S. agencies for working to clamp down on wildlife smuggling. but added: "If people are trying to smuggle live tigers in their check-in luggage, they obviously think wildlife smuggling is something easy to get away with and do not fear reprimand.

"Only sustained pressure on wildlife traffickers and serious penalties can change that," he added.

Post Number:#43  PostPosted: 27 Aug 2010 13:58 

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: 1
I will endeavour to capture a live one. The haggis will be vacuum packed before the flight. If it is not dead before this process, it will surely be dead upon it's release from it's polythene enclosure. I hope it does not suffer during the suffocation procedure, as the Great Chieftain would doubtless seek revenge on my digestion process. (N.B. Only a couple of sheep and a cow or two will be harmed in the hunt [biggrin.gif] )

To ease the concerns of of those worried about cruelty to haggi, I will not transport the creature in my hand luggage. I will ensure it is discretely located in my hold bag.

Vinnvinny wrote:
In protest I will not buy any more cans of IRN BRU until further notice.

I am sorry to hear you are boycotting Scotland's other national drink. I am sure you will come to your senses soon, and recommence partaking of the orange nectar [biggrin.gif] (Buy a pack of 4 x 2 litre bottles at a popular supermarket, and receive a free IRN BRU beach towel)

Post Number:#44  PostPosted: 27 Aug 2010 19:10 
Banned

Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
Hey Scotty,

I'm really glad for you - please let uis know how you get on in Russia

I even forgive you for crediting another member for the suggestion to use RealRussia :D

Post Number:#45  PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010 04:24 

Haggis Normalus Scootius

Some Haggis Facts

1. The correct plural of haggis is haggii, although under certain grammatical circumstances it can be haggises or even “wee yins”. The name Haggii comes from the Latin for “harried ones”.

2. The Haggis Hunting season runs from when they hatch (30 November) until 25 January. The 31st of December is particularly anticipated by Haggis hunters as it is when great herds of Haggii migrate north for winter. The correct term for stalking a haggis is “havering”.

3. Lewis Carroll’s nonsense poem “The Hunting Of The Snark” was originally called “The Hunting Of The Haggis” until he found out the Scottish beast actually existed.

4. Seeing a live haggis is supposed to be a sign of imminent good fortune. Earl Nyaff of Uirsgeul reputedly encountered one on his way to Ayr races in 1817 and subsequently won £50. True, he was badly trampled by the winner and flogged for race fixing after being falsely accused by his own brother, but at least he made a tidy profit.

5. An alcoholic drink derived from the haggis has yet to be invented, despite many centuries of intensive research.

6. The haggis is unusual in that it is neither consistently nocturnal nor diurnal, but instead is active at dawn and dusk (crepuscular), with occasional forays forth during the day and night.

7. Haggis eggs are inedible, and can be easily confused with deer droppings. On the whole they are best avoided.

8. Some myths say the spider watched by Robert the Bruce was trying to escape from a haggis foraging for food.

9. Haggis fur is waterproof but not showerproof.

10. No-one has ever succeeded in breeding haggii in captivity.

Haggis hunting tips

Hunting the haggis is no easy matter. Before you have even ventured out on hills armed with your meuran (the standard tool of the haggis hunter) there are myriad traditions to be observed.

Central to the art is stealth. Like the deer stalker, the haggis hunter must be silent, invisible and without odour. Fortunately, while the haggis has incredibly acute senses, these function over a very narrow range. Thus the haggis hunter has to be only a bit silent, a bit invisible and a little without odour.

The haggis can hear only certain high pitched sounds with any clarity. By whacking turnips with a mallet next to a haggis warren, or fobhríste, the prominent cryptobiologist Ima Maidep-Nayim has proved that the animal does not react to low thudding sounds. However, even a light rustling can make these delicate creatures bolt.

By perverse coincidence, the sound the haggis is most sensitive to is that of plaid rubbing on underpants. No-one knows why this should be, perhaps this almost undetectable noise mimics exactly the sound of a golden eagle plummeting towards its target. Whatever the reason, the aim of a haggis hunter who sports underwear will never be true. Hence, the tradition that “true Scots” wear nothing under their kilt.

As far as masking the hunter’s smell is concerned, there is only one substance that can hide the multifarious odours of a haggiser: whisky. Preferable, the hunter should be absolutely drenched in the stuff to mask any scent. Many’s the ignorant laird who has given his gamekeeper a tongue-lashing for smelling of alcohol and then had to issue a cringeing apology after learning this bit of haggis lore.

Finally, the haggis hunter must make himself invisible to his prey. Much like the Tyrannosaurus Rex – a creature to which it is not often compared – the haggis has eyes that react most effectively to movement, but only movement in a straight line. In order to creep up on their prey, haggis hunters must disguise their approach by adopting a shambling, apparently random gait. This is known as havering.

Thus, if you encounter a Scot stinking of whisky, shuffling down the street in an ungainly fashion with their kilt flapping round their bare backside you know they are only hunting the haggis. To show that you are au fait with “the hunt”, approach him (or her) and say in a loud voice: “Ach, your havering”. A lively discussion should ensue.

Post Number:#46  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 20:28 

Times_to_FSU: 1
Well, folks! Here is the day I have been waiting for! Thank you all for your advice and words of wisdom over the past few weeks. I will now put them into action! I have a few things to take with me:

Single red rose - check
Haggis (Real live) - check
Haggis (cuddly) - check
Cadbury stuff - check
Kilt and associated
paraphanalia - check

I'm certain I will enjoy my trip, and look forward to sharing my experiences with you all on my return (or when I get some time!).

Best wishes everyone! See you on the other side!

Post Number:#47  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 21:01 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Scotty

Have a nice trip and Good luck.

Wish you al to go well and we look forward reading your travel report on your return.

Best of luck.

wiz

Post Number:#48  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 23:16 

Scotty,

Have a good trip.

Enjoy your time in Moscow.

Look forward to hearing from you when you get back.

All the best

Post Number:#49  PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013 12:45 

Her/His Country: Federation of Russia
RW_here_since: 1988
Im interested if you managed to obtain a Visa Scotty? as I am in a very similar situation as you. How did you go, have you married your gf yet and what was the best solution for you?

Post Number:#50  PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015 16:40 

Her/His Country: United Kingdom
what ever happened and why is scotty no longer engaged ?