All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Criminal record question
Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010 11:22 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Hi Scotty,

I don't think you have many options and you will never know until you try, a lot depends also on your future plans, what are you hoping for after marriage !! where will you live etc, if you are thinking about living in Russia then i don't wish to burst your buble but that will be very difficult, especialy when you don't know the country and may not get a visa. I personally would not recommend it to anyone but thats only my opinion, better your future wife comes to live in UK or Europe or any country but Russia, its only easy to go there and live if you are sponsored by a big multi national company, despite what people may think Russia is a very expensive country to live in and it definately is not paradise, the only reason i can see to live there is if you are getting paid more money than any other job offers.

About Visa, well if you are going to get married then you are not a Tourist or on business, you really should have private invitation visa, this way you don't need Hotel and can stay in your GF's apartment, there is probably more chance of a Private Invitation Visa being issued also. A lot depends on what region you go to, where does your GF Live ???, if Moscow or St Petersburg then i think they don't worry too much about correct Visa, but in the small towns and out in the country they are more particular, i know from my experience, i have had every type of Visa, i have a Russian wife living in RF, i can only visit by Private Invitation, even after nearly 4 years of going there. Before you can get married they will inspect your Visa to make sure its the correct type !!. Despite what Visa agents will tell you, its is a fact that if you are visiting a Wife, Relative or GF there then you are not a tourist and should go on Private Invitation, i was told this in no uncertain terms my Russian Embassy in Edinburgh, i was pulled up about it because i was visiting on a business visa. I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to have the correct visa and register the first minute you arrive, you must register your visa within 72 hours of arriving in RF, if you don't then you will be fined, 2 fines and you can be Black Listed for 5 years.

Your GF should go to regional immigration office with all her documents (ie passport, apartment details etc) and make application, costs about £10 and takes 30 days, she then sends this to you, by DHL post (2-3days) about £35 from RF, or she can send it to Real Russia in Moscow and they will deliver it to UK. Then you or RR can process the visa application, takes about 2 weeks if you post to London or about 1 week if you visit Londons Russian Visa center and will cost a further £100. If you need to send money to GF then the best way i have found is Post Office Moneygram, costs about £5-£10 and is instant, Western Union want around £25+ !!

Unless your wife is determined to get married in RF i would consider getting married in another country, it will be a lot less hassle, but i understand you wish to visit her in her homeland, this is good if you can make it happen, but i think you have nothing to loose now, just apply for Visa and see what happens, i think it is best you declare your problems as i am sure they will find out in a search and then you will have a black mark against you. If they decline Visa there is no right of appeal, they will not even discuss the matter with you, its a simple yes no and good bye, if you fail then you will need to go to plan B and get married some place else, but really i think private invitation has the most chance of sucess. I wish you luck

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010 12:21 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Julian

Barking on the wrong tree my friend.

scotty wrote:
This trip would be used to put an engagement ring on her finger......

Look at the left of his posts and see his status....

"Almost engaged" [wink.gif]

So he is not looking to get Married at the moment etc........ [icon_sorrys.gif]

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010 14:33 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: 10+
Ah yes Wiz !!! [embarrased.gif]

but still a private invitation visa might be the best route, unless Scotty wants to spring a suprise and arrive without her knowing??

But as you know Yannis its normal for engagement to be quickly followed by wedding in Russia, i was just jumping the gun, i'll slow down

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 19:06 

Times_to_FSU: 1
Thank you all for your replies.

I took Rasboinik's advice, and called Bill Watkins at Real Russia. Co-incidentally, Chris was in the office when I called. It was this conversation that made me realise I have nothing to lose. I can worry about it forever and take no action, or apply and then just have a week to worry. So I have taken the plunge and just applied for a tourist visa using Real Russia's services.

I was under the impression that whatever I wrote in the comments box in the online application form would be read by the Embassy staff, but it would seem that it is for Real Russia.

Having sent off my passport and everything else, I now feel almost sick. But there are really only 3 ways this can play out:
1 - They say "yes", and I am granted a visa
2 - They say "no", and I can forget about getting engaged this year
3 - They say "come to London and we'll talk"

I live in Scotland (hence "Scotty"), so a trip to London would be a major headache, and there is still no guarantee of being granted a visa. However, it is a better option than 2. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

My girlfriend knows about the visa application. We tried to arrange the trip around her work and her trip to America. She keeps saying "Don't worry. All will ok!". Everyone says this, but I still worry.

As far as getting married goes, it WILL happen. WHEN it will happen is another story. I need to improve my financial position before we even consider applying for fiancee/spouse visas, never mind FLR/ILR. I know it is a very expensive journey I am on, but I know the outcome will be worth it.

I will keep the forum up to date on what is happening with regard to my visa application. If the information can help someone else, then I will be happy to share my experience.

Best regards

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 19:59 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Thanks for the update Scotty and good luck with your application. [happy.gif]

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 23:25 
Admin

Scotty

We al cross our fingers for you and we hope you will be granted the tourist visa.

best of luck

Wiz

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010 00:21 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Scotty,
Like everybody else I wish you the best and hope that you do get your visa.

You are right when you say that it is an expensive journey that you have embarked upon.

To further make it sound like even more fun I can assure you lots of frustration too.

All that I can say is "keep your eye on the ball" because the prize at the end is well worth it.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010 12:11 

Times_to_FSU: 1
Thanks again folks! It is good to have input from people who have been through the process already.

Let's assume for a minute that this visa is granted. The giving of gifts to people seems to be quite common. My girlfriend has an older sister living in Moscow, but I don't think I will be meeting her and her husband. I think I may meet some of her friends, though, and out of them, I have only spoken to one other girl. My girlfriend is 25 (I am 43). What should I be thinking of buying as gifts for these other people? My g/f suggested Whisky (for the other girl I have spoken to) and some boxes of sweets. Should I buy a gift for her sister even if I don't meet her (and let my girlfriend give the gift)?

I will fly from Glasgow to London, so any bottled liquid will need to be bought in duty free in Heathrow. I wasn't planning on taking a suitcase, just a bag in the cabin.

This is all new to me! Any (good) advice is welcome! [happy.gif]

Thanks again!

P.S. Any advice in general about meeting people would also be welcome. My girlfriend would tear my head off if I kiss another girl (she gets jealous easily)! My aunt and cousin visited me last week, and she told me not to kiss my cousin! Is a hug ok, or is it better to just shake hands? Help me stay alive! [happy.gif]

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010 13:09 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Scotty.
Gifts.
For your GF a rose (single) bought in Scotland, it does not matter how dishevelled it is when you present it, will be worth 1000 times it's weight in gold.

Other gifts
Now I cannot talk about your GF (woman) because I do not know her :roll: but I can talk about my woman and her friends, and I will say anything Scottish will go down as a great treat (and by anything I mean things that will make you cringe when you buy them).
I am talking about real kitsch such as "Haggis" soft toys, fridge magnets, kilt towels, boxes of short bread, and any other Scottish souvenirs that you can think of.

Hint,
Never give a gift to "another woman" yourself, "present" the gifts to your GF (woman) with the instruction "It is for you to decide".
Cowards option, but cowards live longer [biggrin.gif]

To elaborate I am not a true Scot but I have a home in Scotland and as far as most most of my Russian friends are concerned I am considered Scottish.

Post Number:#20  PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010 15:19 
Admin

scotty wrote:
Thanks again folks! It is good to have input from people who have been through the process already.

My girlfriend would tear my head off if I kiss another girl (she gets jealous easily)!

Welcome to the club old boy.........make sure you make no nice compliments for any woman friend or otherwise, in private to your GF or or in public directly to another woman! Not even as a joke! You will get no tea in the evening!
[rolf.gif]

Quote:
My aunt and cousin visited me last week, and she told me not to kiss my cousin! Is a hug ok, or is it better to just shake hands? Help me stay alive! [happy.gif]
Listen to your Aunty and just shake hands..... she knows better..... [clap2.gif]

GIFTS:

Ask your GF for whom and what to buy and give it to her to deal with it! [wink.gif]

Buy chocolates from Heathrow..... they love them........ :D

BTW stick around and have a good read on all relevant sugjects you can find on the board. You may learn a few things you don't know about women.... I meant Russian Women!

[aferim.gif]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next