All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adapting to her new living enviroment
Post Number:#21  PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011 22:15 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
If I ever do bring a wife back from the FSU then my plan would be to not to tell her where the on/off switch is for the electricity supply and sometimes, before I leave for work, I will switch it off for the day. Additionally, I will switch the water off without her knowing and I will buy a flimsy ironing board and an iron for £1.49p. I will also force her to eat stale bread for the first few months. Lastly, I will scour the region for a 60's style food store where you have to ask an assistant for everything you want. Hopefully if I find one then the assistant will be a very miserable one.

These measures should stop her missing home too much. [thumbs.gif]

Post Number:#22  PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011 06:43 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Oh you are a bad boy Vinnvinny

Why should you do such bad things and create harsh conditions for the woman you love and cherish, just because she likes to reminiscence about Christmas and the old good family days?

On another thread on the galleried forum, I posted some photos of the USSR days about shops but life, according to the old babushkas wasn't that bad, as you try to describe ......... [confused.gif]

Yes they like heating temperature to be over 27C at home, leave around unfinished food, buy everything from the supermarket......cook too many dishes at Christmas and new year so for the next week or so you have to eat the lot.....and spent hours looking at the big shop centres... coming home with very little to show....... from their shopping expedition!

It is not that bad... is it?

Oh well when the weather changes the mood changes again... and Russia becomes... a distant place. [biggrin.gif]

Post Number:#23  PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011 10:20 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
Vinnvinny wrote:
I will also force her to eat stale bread for the first few months.

Are you kidding me? Lena already grilled me considering the bad state of our food.

Its all "chemical" and "not fresh". Until she found a street-market as opposed to the supermarkets we have. She shops at the butcher, not the supermarket for meat. She shops at the grocery store, not the super market for her veggies and she surely forbids me to drink coca cola.

Why did i ever agree to a russian wife!

Post Number:#24  PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011 23:02 
Veteran Member

wiz wrote:
Oh you are a bad boy Vinnvinny

Why should you do such bad things and create harsh conditions for the woman you love and cherish, just because she likes to reminiscence about Christmas and the old good family days?

It's the way I am wiz, the way I am. [hi.gif]

Markje wrote:

... but I haven't! [sad.gif]

Post Number:#25  PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 06:33 
Admin

Markje wrote:
Vinnvinny wrote:
I will also force her to eat stale bread for the first few months.

Are you kidding me? Lena already grilled me considering the bad state of our food.

Its all "chemical" and "not fresh". Until she found a street-market as opposed to the supermarkets we have. She shops at the butcher, not the supermarket for meat. She shops at the grocery store, not the super market for her veggies and she surely forbids me to drink coca cola.

Actually Mark I agree with her.

Our butcher has better quality meat than the supermarkets and I get our fruit cheaper and better quality than the supermarket, on Sundays in a car boot sale ......

The fuit in the supermarkets it's not tasty at all.... so I rather wait to go to Greece or any other Med country to have some fresh fruit. [wink.gif]

Same mistake here Vinnvinny.... and I regrert it .... [rolf.gif]

Post Number:#26  PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 23:38 
Veteran Member

Gentleman, I can only relate to my own experiences.

Having ate in Ukrainian restaurants many hundreds of times then I have yet to sample a piece of bread where the likelihood was that it had been baked within the previous month.

Also, having bought my own bread several times from a variety of different sources (not from the Babushka who sells cigarettes near TGI's in Kiev, she doesn't sell bread or any other food for that matter), I have to report that my experiences on this front were also disappointing.

Maybe there is a link somewhere to my inability to find decent bread with my unsuccessful search for a wife?

I am considering asking some different questions to any potential future ex-wives (as my pal Andy likes to call them) in the following order and only proceeding to the next one should her answer be affirmative.

"Do you like fresh bread?"
"Can you bake bread?"
"Do you ad chemicals to it?"
"What do your melon taste like?"
"Can I have a squeeze?"
"Would you get excited by the prospect of a 15km walk to my nearest Butcher?"
"Is all your paperwork in in order?"
"What are you plans for next Saturday afternoon"

Post Number:#27  PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 21:37 

Markje wrote:

My wife is the same, everything that has a bunch of E's on it is bad. The only exception is if she also likes it, then it is fine of course... It took a little while but now she has discovered alternatives to some of the things she misses from home. Usually she will find something she thinks is ok in the meat & fish desks at the supermarket, but I fear that might come to an end if I take her to a real butcher...

As for cola... I'm running on a very limited supply...

Post Number:#28  PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 23:24 
Expert Member

My wife's favorite is a dutch milk thats a lot like the Ukrainian "Kefir"....

According to Lena it is named "Carnal milk" (the correct term is karnemelk)

When do i tell her [sarcastic.gif]

Post Number:#29  PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011 06:27 
Admin

You seem to have plenty of adaptation problems.....where my wife,.... regarding the food... has adapted much quicker. [biggrin.gif]

The joy of going to the supermarket, once a week and shopping for a week's supplies.... has affected her attitude. She doesn't have to carry daily plastic bags any more! Of course she will go and check EVERYTHING...... but at the end.... she makes do with our food... and 2 hours is her maximum in Tesco.... because it is cold there.... [lol.gif] .!

I like shopping to our local butcher for Scottish meat... so no problem there too but taking her for "window shopping" as I call it.... has to come to an end. Now she knows, when she wants to go shopping wiz, the taxi driver, will take her there in the morning and go back to collect her in the evening when she request his services! [biggrin.gif]

I am a fuss pot when it comes to vegetables and fruit, as I don't like what we are sold here because the Supermarkets have to refrigerate the fruit all the way from the country of import till the day they sell it... and the good taste has gone. [bad.gif]

When we go to Greece..... or Russia..... we have too much fresh fruit there and the taste is very different. [thumbs.gif]

The good news (for me) is that the nearest Russian Shops...... are in London... some 30 miles away! [glad.gif]

Mark

I can't stop looking the photo of you son.... wonderful! [bravo.gif]

Post Number:#30  PostPosted: 09 May 2011 19:36 
Expert Member

Another great one for the books.

Lena told me (in a bit of a discussion), that I can be (beeeeeeeeeeeeeep)

I told her (completely oblivious to russian slang / folklore) she should look in the mirror sometimes.

My meaning: Take a look at yourself, before you try to criticise others.
Lena's meaning: You are an ugly low-class uneducated farm-girl.

She didn't speak to me for days, .... ahem. (so, be careful when you use slang / folklore in discussions. In Russia, they can have quite a different meaning!)

Mark.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next