All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Russian Love affair
Post Number:#21  PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009 15:45 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: Ukraine
RW_here_since: June 2008
Times_to_FSU: Lots
wiz wrote:
I am sure her surname is not Titchmarsh [lol.gif]

Your wife is right talking to the flowers, Hanna does the same, because as you said many dead plants come to life again...... [wink.gif]

It must be true because Hanna said the same, after reading your comments! [lol.gif]

Actually I have also heard that playing nice gentle classical or other calm music helps....so I must have helped a little by playing music in my room when they were growing in pots.

I guess your wife is also using seeds and grow them in the house, so not to have to spent money in the garden centre..... [tonque.gif]

Tomorrow is our first year wedding anniversary, so as an appreciation to her efforts I am taking her to Nice for 4 days to relax.

Meanwhile I have made a small photo presentation with photos taken between 1- 10 June.

Have a look, sit back and relax and see in more details our little garden flowers. I am sure Iryna would have a look also! [wink.gif]
It may take few seconds to start the auto presentation!

Our little Garden

She grows therm from seeds and also leaf cuttings, some leaves she collected whilst out walking in a local park have now grown into large flower arrangements. [veryhappy.gif]

We had our first wedding anniversary in March, in a few days time the girls will have been here a year already. They are going back to Ukraine for the second time this year in July, Nata is staying for 6 weeks throughout the summer holidays with her grandparents, Ira will go and collect her again in September and spend a week there, but in August we have already booked for the two of us to go to Majorca for a week, our first real holiday on our own without little Nata. I say little but she is growing fast, yesterday was her ninth birthday, nine, but going on 30 ;)

Have a good time in Nice, its been a long time since I was there, but it was very nice.

Chris

Point - Shoot - Drawn = Instant Floor Plans

Post Number:#22  PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009 10:26 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Rasboinik wrote:
Congratulations

To you and your wife your first anniversary

:flower:

Rasbosinik

Sorry I missed your post before flying out to France, as you will see later on my travel report.

Thanks for your good wishes.

regards
Yannis

Post Number:#23  PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009 12:05 
Admin

Nice – Monte Carlo and Cannes
14 – 17 June 2009

It is true, what they say, that having a good time makes the time fly.

It has been a year since our wedding, 14 June last year, so to celebrate our wedding anniversary, earlier in March, I booked two cheap tickets to Nice in the South of France and a Hotel close to the beach.

Nice road side Cafe ........................................................... Nice Beach

Having acquired the “Resident Card” from the UK border Agency (Home Office) in February we had very little problems travelling there and back, without the need to get a Schegen Visa.
For Hanna was her second time travelling to another European country and she was very excited about our trip.

On arrival we discovered that the bus from the airport stopped just 100 metres away from our hotel and it was very cheap….. just 1 Euro per person, which of course pleased her Russian frugality, immensely! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our hotel was very centrally, we got an excellent room/studio with plenty of self catering and bath facilities, good for my early morning coffee. The hotel is located only 10 minutes stroll to the beach and the appropriated named “Promenade Del Anglais“, which has plenty of Palms trees and run all the way, from side to side of Nice.

Nice Beach

Transport was excellent and very cheap and we visited Monte Carlo and also the famous town of Cannes and plenty in between beach side resorts, like Antibes. Unfortunately my electric adaptor was not suitable for the French sockets so very soon I run out of batteries……. And I have 3 of them, so not a lot of photos taken from the other resorts apart from Nice, Monte Carlo and Cannes.

Old Nice port

Nice Port

Monte Carlo

Nice Town

We had plenty of good French food and enjoyed going to the Med swimming where we both got a little of suntan. Any how we had a wonderful time and we are planning to go back to France, later in the summer.

Cannes beach/port

Cannes Port

Cannes Beach

Cannes Town

Cannes port

I hope you enjoyed the few photos here and if you wish to see more visit our presentation here:

Post Number:#24  PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 20:39 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
Congratulations a few months late. I didn't see the post until today. The garden looks great. Last year my MIL came for a visit for a month and to occupy her time spent a lot of time fixing up my yard. I have to say she had a real flair for it. The yard never looked better. The plan is to have her come back next spring so hopefully we can get it whipped back into shape but it won't be half as nice as what Hanna has done. That is beautiful.

Iren says I should be ashamed of myself. My business is in the landscaping field. We we build landscaping equipment but I work at it hard enough that there is little time to work in my own yard. Don't look for any photos.

Post Number:#25  PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 23:57 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
turboguy wrote:
Congratulations a few months late. I didn't see the post until today. The garden looks great. Last year my MIL came for a visit for a month and to occupy her time spent a lot of time fixing up my yard. I have to say she had a real flair for it. The yard never looked better. The plan is to have her come back next spring so hopefully we can get it whipped back into shape but it won't be half as nice as what Hanna has done. That is beautiful.

Iren says I should be ashamed of myself. My business is in the landscaping field. We we build landscaping equipment but I work at it hard enough that there is little time to work in my own yard. Don't look for any photos.

Is this a case of:
The cobblers children always go barefooted? (Russian Proverb)
:rolf:

Post Number:#26  PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009 07:53 
Admin

Rasboinik wrote:
turboguy wrote:

Is this a case of:
The cobblers children always go barefooted? (Russian Proverb)
[rolfsmall.gif]

Not only a Russian proverb.... but a Greek one too!

Greeks say the same exactly....... and you know something?

My MIL thinks that I am a very clever man..... ;) .... because I understand her Russian well...... [wink.gif] [lol.gif]

The truth is that the Russian language is using too many GREEK words... and I learned a few more Russian words.... so no difficult for me to get the drift of what she is talking about! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes Turbo

I think you are lazy.........spending too much time on the boards.... [tonque.gif] ...and you don't help your MIL to create a good garden. I understand that Iren is at the Uni now studying hard and you .........have to wait for MIL to come and fix your garden! [lol.gif] [lol.gif] [lol.gif]

Any how my Hanna has become a Greenfingers goddess..........while improving her English to fluent status........ and behind that hedge you see in the photo below she is produsing also tomatos and cucumbers!

She brought some Russian seeds....... and look the results!
No need to go to the supermarket ...... [glad.gif]

not bad size cucumber........eh!

:haha:

Post Number:#27  PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009 12:27 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
Awsome,

When I had a garden my cucumbers looked more like pickles.

Post Number:#28  PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009 02:08 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Yannis,
Wow, that is some size of vegetable.

wiz wrote:
She brought some Russian seeds....... and look the results!

Now that is funny, Alla took seeds from Aberdeen to Russia, for her mothers Dacha and Alla's mother held an "unofficial" competition Aberdeen seeds vs Russian seeds.
The result:
The seeds from the UK beat the seeds from Russia in first to produce.

Also Alla took with her to Russia a Strawberry plant.
Yes plant, soil and all, when she suggested that she was going to do it my comment was "You are mad, you will never get it past airport security", Alla's retort call the airport and ask (apparently she had seen some Russians take potted plants from Holland), the result of that little debacle I ended up with egg all over my face, there is no security rule that says that a potted plant cannot be taken onto an aeroplane.
[offtopic.jpg]
What that says about airport security is another argument, but that argument can be carried out in a different place.

Back onto the gardening.
The verdict on the strawberry plant (it produced something like four fruits), "The plant from Scotland produces firmer fruits than the ones from Sakhalin".

What I find funny is, Hanna brings seeds from Russia, Alla takes seeds to Russia.

Last but not least, I congratulate both Hanna and you on the look of your garden.

Post Number:#29  PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009 13:16 
Admin

Raffi

To be honest I am also surprised that Alla took the pot over to Shakhalin witout any problems. :o

As about the results... Aberdeen and Shakhalin..... very close I expect in temperatures... :?

When Hanna mentioned the same to me while in Russia last year..... I made sure that she did not buy anything.... only :censored: seeds.

Her reasoning about the Russian cucumbers was that they are small and tasty...... (see the one on the table,) which is true but what she didn't take into consideration (neither me) was the BBQ compost and you can see the surprising results. She has produced plenty of that size, more comming nearly daily and we have't bought anything lately from Tesco! :D
Clever and very economical these Russian women. Don't you think? :haha:

I said also before that she cultivated all the flowers from seeds....... apart from a few Roses and I am very happy for that too! :D

Thank you for your good compliments... she is smiling like Cheshire Cat! :P

Post Number:#30  PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009 06:42 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Uzbekistan
Times_to_FSU: 8 and I hope the last!
Hey Wiz just read you trip to Nice. I guess anywhere in this world is cheap if you live in the UK eh ? [sad.gif]

So what does a week long holiday on the south of France go for ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next