Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Life in the United Kingdom Test
A Journey to UK Citizenship

Background to the test.

Why has the test been introduced?

Becoming a British citizen or deciding to settle permanently in this country is an important event in your life. If you are applying for naturalisation as a British citizen or for indefinite leave to remain, you will need to show that you know about life in the UK. If you live in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you can do this in two ways: by taking the Life in the UK Test or by taking combined English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and citizenship classes.

Who has to take the test?

You should take the test if you are applying for naturalisation as a British citizen or indefinite leave to remain (settlement) and your level of English is ESOL Entry 3 or above. If your level of English is lower than ESOL Entry 3 and you wish to apply for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain, you will need to attend combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes instead. Most local further education or community colleges run these courses.

If you are unsure about whether you need to take the test, you can contact the Immigration Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766.

What are ESOL and citizenship classes?

ESOL and citizenship classes help you to improve your English and learn more about life in the UK. You can take these classes at your local further education or community college. To find out more about ESOL and citizenship classes, contact your local college, or call the Life in the UK Test Helpline on 0800 0154245.

How do I know what my level of English is?

If you are not sure what your level of English is, your local further education college or learndirect centre can give you an initial assessment. If you need help finding somewhere near you to take an initial assessment, then call the Life in the UK Test Helpline on 0800 0154245.

Is the test only available in English?

The test is offered routinely in English. However, if you are taking the test in a centre based in Wales you may request to take a test in the Welsh language, or if taking the test in Scotland you may request to take the test in Scottish Gaelic. You can get further details from your test centre.

When do I take the test?

You should take the test before you apply for naturalisation as a British citizen or before you apply for indefinite leave to remain, provided you meet all the other requirements.

For more information on how to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen or on how to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain visit the Home Office web site. You can also ring one of the Helplines:

For more information about British citizenship (naturalisation) applications ring 0845 010 5200.

For more information about indefinite leave to remain (settlement) applications ring: 0870 606 7766

Post subject: Re: Life in the United Kingdom - A Journey to UK Citizenship
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009 12:36 
Admin

The test will only be available to take on a computer at an official test centre. Try the Mouse training and Keyboard training to practise using a computer. The Navigation tutorial allows you to find out more about using the test.

How do I get help using a computer?

UK online centres aim to provide everyone in England with access to computers near to where they live, as well as advice on using them. You can search for your nearest centre online. Please note that you may not be able to take your Life in the UK Test at the same centre.

If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, most local libraries offer free or low-cost computer and internet access.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009 13:09 
Admin

Taking the test

What will happen when I arrive at the test centre?

On arrival at your test centre, the test supervisor will record your full name, date of birth, nationality, country and place of birth, postcode, Home Office reference, and your purpose for taking the test. Your photographic ID will be checked and you will have to pay for your test (unless you have paid for it previously). You will then be logged on to a computer and will have time to complete a practice test on your computer before you begin the Life in the UK Test. The test supervisor will tell you when to begin your test and how long you have to complete it.

What will I be tested on?

The test is computer-based and is a series of 24 questions. It is based on 'Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship'.

It is important that you read the second edition of 'Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship'. This is the only official handbook for the Life in the UK test.

In order to be familiar with the test experience and to ensure you are as prepared as possible for the questions you should also read Life in the United Kingdom: Official Citizenship Test Study Guide and Passing the Life in the UK Test: Official Practice Questions and Answers. All these titles are available as instantly downloadable PDFs which is ideal if you need to start revising today. TSO have also created value packs so you can purchase these items together and receive a discount. Please visit http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/LIFE for more information.

Will the test be relevant to the part of the UK I live in?

Most of the test questions will be about life in the UK, as described in the 'Life in the United Kingdom' handbook. The test will also include a number of questions which ask you about the part of the UK you live in - England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

How do I prepare for my test?

You should study chapters 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the second edition 'Life in the United Kingdom' handbook very carefully.

The Stationery Office are the only official publishers of the Home Office publications. All content found in their Life in the UK publications is the official source material. Please visit http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/LIFE for more information.

Also, look at the Prepare for the test section of this website. If you do not have a computer at home and you live in England, contact UK online for details of local centres providing computer and internet access. If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, most local libraries offer free or low-cost computer and internet access.

Think carefully before purchasing any 'study guides' for the Life in the UK test that can be found in bookshops and on the internet. The guides have not been officially approved, even though some may suggest that they are. As a result they may not provide the support you require. Some may even mislead you by suggesting that you memorise answers to questions that aren't genuine and are very different to the ones you will be asked in your test.

The Stationery Office are the only official publishers of the Home Office publications.

How long does the test last?

You will have 45 minutes to answer 24 questions. This gives you plenty of time to choose your answers and check them again before the end. You do not need to rush to finish the test quickly; remember to use all of the time that you are given. If you have certain medical conditions, you may be allowed more time. You must tell the test centre of any medical conditions when you book your test.

What types of question are there?

Visit the Navigation tutorial to practise finding your way around the test system and answering the different types of question. Remember, you can do the tutorial as many times as you want. You should feel comfortable about answering questions on the computer. You can also do a practice test at your test centre before you take the Life in the UK Test.

You can also practice on line at this sites:

http://www.uk-citizenship-test.com/

For full information visit:

UK Border Agency Test

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009 18:54 

Her/His Country: Born in Komsomolsk
RW_here_since: August 2010
Times_to_FSU: Twice
Just for fun, I took the test and failed.
I got 10/24 [embarrased.gif]
[bravo.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011 08:24 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: 10+
UK Life test on MSN

http://quiz.uk.msn.com/WidepageUKnewsqu ... nship-test

I just myself tried this test, not sure how accurate it is with the real test, but i got 8 out of 20 !!! so i'm packing my bags to leave !!! I also tried the Governments fun test and scored 45% !! , am i ashamed ? no, why should i need to know about history in fine detail , where football clubs are and what London Tower looks like to go to work and pay taxe's to keep this island afloat, all a complete joke and just shows how out of touch our eductaion system is and why we are going backwards as a nation, start teaching people useful things that will encourage business, inventions, technology and the basic skills and requirements to be a good honest hard working citizen, who needs to know about most of our past Kings who in reality where probably bandits and dictators and not really good role models, its all in the past we need to look forward and make the country Great again.

I know i should be ashamed of my terrible score , but the quality of questions is so bad, personally i think 60-70% have no revelance to living in the UK , many of these questions are about area's of our history/Geography/religion/Politics that just do not need to be known for going about daily life, all this information can be found if needed at a moments notice on your computer or mobile phone. It again shows just how out of touch our MP's are with what really happens in real life, to me its more a test designed to fail people than actually encourage them to know the important things. Would be interesting to see what sort of Life Test the Germans would produce, i think it would be far more logical and practical.

If our Government expects all citzens to have a such deep knowledge of all things in the UK then why don't they teach most of this in our own schools ?? I think many fresh school leavers would fail this test !!! and to me that just shows how hypocritical it is.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011 11:19 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
Hey! I also got an 8 out of 20 on my score :) Guess I can't live in GB yet.

I won't list the correct answer , for other people who want to take this test. Just to show you what a Dutchie baked of it without any training.

1. How many parliamentary constituencies are there? (Correct)
2. In the 1980s, the largest immigrant groups were from the West Indies, Ireland, India and Pakistan. True or false? (Correct)
4. Which of these statements is correct? (Correct)
5. Many job applications will require a covering letter and: (Correct) (Wow, the first useful question for immigrants!)
6. Ulster Scots is a dialect which is spoken in Northern Ireland. True or false? (Correct)
14. Which two of the following can vote in all UK public elections? (Correct) (Wow, another useful one)
17. Which of these statements is correct? (Correct)
20. How might you stop young people playing tricks on you at Halloween? (Correct)

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011 12:06 
Admin

Julian

So a bloody immigrant has done better than you! [haha.gif]

I got 13 out of 20........ so I have passed! [rolfsmall.gif]

But read the stupid questions I had to answer.... so my guesses were correct!

Could you pass the citizenship test?
Your score is: 13 out of 20

• 1. How many parliamentary constituencies are there?
    650 (Your answer)

• 2. In the 1980s, the largest immigrant groups were from the West Indies, Ireland, India and Pakistan. True or false?
    True (Your answer)
    False
    In the 1980s, the largest immigrant groups were from the United States, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.

• 3. Which two of these are names for the Church of England?
    Methodist (Your answer)
    Episcopal
    The Church of England is called the Episcopal Church in Scotland.
    Anglican (Your answer)
    The Church of England is called the Anglican Church in other countries.
    Presbyterian

• 4. Which of these statements is correct?
    Education at state schools in the UK is free and this includes the cost of school uniform and sports wear.
    Education at state schools in the UK is free but parents have to pay for school uniform and sports wear. (Your answer)

• 5. Many job applications will require a covering letter and:
    A document showing proof of identity
    Your National Insurance number
    A curriculum vitae (Your answer)
    A signed photograph

• 6. Ulster Scots is a dialect which is spoken in Northern Ireland. True or false?
    True
    False (Your answer)

• 7. In which year did married women get the right to divorce their husband?
    1857 (Your answer)
    Until 1857, a married woman had no right to divorce her husband.

• 8. In which two of the following places does the European parliament meet?
    London
    Strasbourg (Your answer)
    Paris
    Brussels (Your answer)

• 9. Which of the following two types of people get their prescriptions free of charge?
    People aged 60 or over (Your answer)
    People aged 18 or under
    Pregnant women or those with a baby under 12 months old (Your answer)
    People on the minimum wage

• 10. The percentage of people in the UK in 2001 who said they were Muslims was:
    1.6% (Your answer)
    2.7%
    3.4%
    4.2%

• 11. A quango is:
    A government department
    A non-departmental public body (Your answer)
    An arm of the judiciary
    An educational establishment

• 12. You can attend a hospital without a GP's letter only in the case of an emergency. True or false?
    True (Your answer)
    False

• 13. Which is correct?
    Information in the census is immediately available for the public to search (Your answer)
    Information in the census is kept secret for 100 years

• 14. Which two of the following can vote in all UK public elections?
    Citizens of the Irish Republic resident in the UK (Your answer)
    Citizens of EU states resident in the UK
    Citizens of the Commonwealth resident in the UK (Your answer)
    All UK-born and naturalised citizens have the right to vote in all public elections, as do citizens of the Commonwealth and the Irish republic if resident in the UK. You have to guess this...
    Anyone resident in the UK

• 15. Schools must be open:
    150 days a year
    170 days a year
    190 days a year
    200 days a year (Your answer)

• 16. The official report of the proceedings of parliament is called:
    The Speaker's notes
    Hansard (Your answer)
    The electoral register
    The constitution

• 17. Which of these statements is correct?
    For cars and motorcycles the speed limit on single carriageways is 60mph (Your answer)
    For cars and motorcycles the speed limit on single carriageways is 70mph

• 18. A byelection is held:
    Halfway through the life of a parliament
    Every two years
    When an MP dies or resigns (Your answer)
    When the prime minister decides to call one

• 19. Which is correct?
    Children aged 13-16 cannot work for more than 12 hours in any school week (Your answer)
    Children aged 13-16 cannot work for more than 10 hours in any school week

• 20. How might you stop young people playing tricks on you at Halloween?
    Call the police
    Give them some money
    Give them sweets or chocolate (Your answer)
    Hide from them

[yahoo.gif]

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011 12:22 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: UK
RW_here_since: 2008
Times_to_FSU: I was born there!
My husband asked me to take the test and.... this is my results.

Could you pass the citizenship test?
Your score is: 10 out of 20 [embarrased.gif]

I think I have to go back to Russia....... [sad.gif]

Hanna